Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Halloween Bees!  (Read 4608 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Halloween Bees!
« on: November 02, 2011, 12:38:45 am »
Hope everyone had a safe Halloween!

I performed this removal yesterday, left the set up on site went back & sealed them up tonight. Old hive taking a lot of abuse. Glad to find them a new home.

...JP

Halloween Bees
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Halloween Bees!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 02:42:10 am »
OH that was great JP especially when you said "You have the queen". I could not believe it (although, by this time, I should) that you could find the queen in all that mess.

Happy bees will have a good new home soon.

Thanks for sharing once again
Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 06:51:57 am »
I know you haven't seen the red umbrella in a while but its is always with me Annette. It gives me the power to find those queens in all that mess.  ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 09:34:03 am »
JP
Do you keep all the hives you cutout or do you sell them off? 

That construction on that house was strange, looked like combination of 1950's and pole barn, even the 2x4 looked like rough sawn full dimension.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 11:19:16 am »
OH that was great JP especially when you said "You have the queen". I could not believe it (although, by this time, I should) that you could find the queen in all that mess.

Happy bees will have a good new home soon.

Thanks for sharing once again
Annette

Yea! What she said! I don't know how you manage to find all of these queens. Good job! Larry

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 12:56:32 pm »
To answer a few question, no I don't keep all the hives I remove. I'm hoping Schawee has room for another hundred hives or so.  :-D I brought the last two hives to my main bee yard this morning. That yard is about ten miles from my house.

The honest truth about finding queens on removals is that I just don't sweat it. I figure if I find her great, if I vacuum her that's good, just not as good for filming. Usually you find her when all of the comb has been removed and most of the bees have been vacuumed. This one was no different.

...JP

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 01:01:46 pm »
Great video JP.
I am amazed at the amount of hammering you were able to do right over the hive and it didn't bother them.
I learn a lot from everyone of your videos.
Jim

This is the second time I wrote this note, this first one didn't stick. It may show up twice.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 06:09:31 pm »
I think they made a mistake having your remove those bees, from the looks of that house, propolis was the only thing holding it together.  :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 07:21:22 pm »
Sawdstmakr, this hive actually surprised me that it was as strong as it was. At first glance I thought they were quite weak but boy did they have good numbers! If I would have known the number count when I was doing the hammering I just might not have hammered like I did.

Don, you are dead wrong!

It was propolis & Formosan termite carton nests that was holding the house up!  :-D

...JP

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 07:21:50 pm »
Thanks for the video JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 01:54:29 am »
I know you haven't seen the red umbrella in a while but its is always with me Annette. It gives me the power to find those queens in all that mess.  ;)

...JP

Sure you want to give it up?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 10:22:40 am »
You will have the opportunity to take it back home with you or not come Bud4 Annette. That was my promise to you. I'm so looking forward to spending time with you then. 45 minutes wasn't nearly enough to truly get an adequate Annette fix. I need more!  :-*   :-D

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 01:24:33 am »
You will have the opportunity to take it back home with you or not come Bud4 Annette. That was my promise to you. I'm so looking forward to spending time with you then. 45 minutes wasn't nearly enough to truly get an adequate Annette fix. I need more!  :-*   :-D

...JP

Thats very sweet JP :-*

Offline Country Heart

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 03:35:34 am »
Love the robbing footage - thanks for the lesson, JP.   :)

Offline Wits End

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 09:12:26 pm »
Since I live just outside the Mississippi Delta I sure hope we can make it to Bud4 next spring. I am a bit introverted around people I don't know but I may just have to come out of my shell for this one.
Jeff and Kellie Houston
Wits End Blueberry and Bee Farm
Greenwood Mississippi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 09:18:17 pm »
Since I live just outside the Mississippi Delta I sure hope we can make it to Bud4 next spring. I am a bit introverted around people I don't know but I may just have to come out of my shell for this one.

Would be great to see you there! Its very laid back, no pressure at all. Just a bunch of bee keepers hanging out, having a grand time. Hope you can make it!

...JP