Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive bodirs for swarm traps  (Read 1795 times)

Offline T.Smith

• New Bee
hive bodirs for swarm traps
« on: November 27, 2008, 10:54:19 pm »
Hi,  I was wondering why a person couldnt just place old hive bodies with a bottom board and top for swarm traps.  Place these out like you would the store bought traps and put swarm lure in them. this would eliminate having to transfer them to a box from the "trap".  I have only kept bees for a couple years but have had swarms take up residence in my old boxes. Anyway if anyone has any suggestions about this I would appreciate them.    Thanks in advance    Tracy

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
Re: hive bodirs for swarm traps
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 10:57:51 pm »
yeah you can. Thing is there a bit heavy and you ave to secure them well. Have a look at some of the card board NUC's much easier

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 11:35:48 pm »
I bought some old banged up deeps a few years back for about a dollar each. I scorched the insides, and now use them for traps. Works well.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 07:29:25 am »
Old hive bodies are great.  One deep is a nice size to lure a swarm.  Old boxes have the right smell.  That's probably my favorite swarm trap.  I run all mediums but I get old deeps from people who are going to throw them away and I can put medium frames in them.  At worst, if I'm slow getting them out, I can cut the comb off the bottom of the frames and tie that in but the rest is already in frames.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything