Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: joining boards  (Read 7525 times)

Offline kdm

• House Bee
joining boards
« on: January 03, 2013, 09:36:05 am »
 I am building some jumbo deeps. Boards are not available in 14 in. so i am planing on joining two boards together. I plan on cutting a kerf 3/8 on both boards edges and cut   3/4 pieces to join them together. Anyone have a better or quicker idea?

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
Re: joining boards
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:20:14 am »
Biskits or ship lap. One Of the queen breeders does ship lap or double lab cut as a rabbit.
David
My-smokepole

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 12:20:40 pm »
If your edges are flat, why not just glue the boards together. Bee sure to put a good smooth coat of a good water proof glue on both sides and clamp. The glue is stronger than the wood and would hold. I use a biskit joiner to make sure they are as flat as possible but in this case it is not necessary.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline kdm

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 03:19:51 pm »
 Thank all of you for your tips,they are helpfull food for thought

Offline loumaro

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 12:09:19 am »
I agree with sawdstmakr If you have good flat surfaces the glue joint will be stronger  than the wood.
I would use TIGHT BOND III glue it is suposed to be water proof.

Louie
Louie

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 12:48:13 pm »
For long term reliability finger joints are your best option.   They will outlast most other methods.  I have had very good success with this method.   Yes it is a little more work,  but worth it if you want quality results that will last.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 01:02:18 pm »
Rob is right on the finger joint being the strongest. My second choice would be a rabbit joint, next a biscuit joint, and lastly a butt joint. Put together with Titebond III for a waterproof connection.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 05:12:09 pm »
I am building some jumbo deeps. Boards are not available in 14 in. so i am planing on joining two boards together. I plan on cutting a kerf 3/8 on both boards edges and cut   3/4 pieces to join them together. Anyone have a better or quicker idea?

Are you building Dadant Deeps ???

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline marktrl

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 07:56:04 pm »
I've built a lot of boxes from recycled wood that has to be glued up. I just edge glue with tite bond III and paint. So far no problems.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 04:17:47 am »
Anyone have a better or quicker idea?
Ditch the wood and go with sheet of polystyrene. ;)  It’s cheaper, thermally similar to the bees natural home (tree cavities), and there’s no need to prep the hives for winter since they’re already insulated from the get go!

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 07:46:14 am »
I've glued 1/2" plywood edge-to-edge using D4 grade (exterior waterproof) resin glue for NUC boxes - no problems encountered, quick and easy. I plan on making a large number of long hives from old scaffold planks next year - will be joining 'em using the same glue - as in my experience bees don't appear to appreciate cabinet-making skills.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline kdm

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 11:13:37 am »
Many good ideas. Robo i have bought a router but  haven't had  much experience with it. Jim 134 I am buiilding 10 frame jumbo deeps 11 5/8 deep. Bluebee the polystryene sounds interesting. You have cooler climate to deal with than me,but if i didn.t have the material already i would consider the polystryene. Thank you all for soooo many good ideas.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 11:50:26 am »
You really need a router table for the finger jointing as well, so it sounds like this isn't a good option for you.  Plenty of other options recommended that seem better suited for you.  Best of luck.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 11:25:26 pm »
Blue bee how are you glueing the polystyrene and. What weigh are you using
David
My-smokepole

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 11:57:15 pm »
When one of my poly hives crack or break I mend them with water proof wood glue and glue them tightly under pressure with straps.

I suppose it depends on ho clean your cuts/joints are, are they uneven I think you would bee better of with a glue that could fill out the gaps a little.

mvh edward  :-P

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 01:39:32 am »
I have been using polyurethane glue to glue polystyrene together.  AKA, gorilla glue.  You need PU glue when gluing foam to foam.  However if one surface in porous, Windfall reported that you can use regular wood glue.  The inner surfaces of my jumbos are clad in hardboard that was glued with gorilla.  The next set I build (this winter) I'm going to use regular wood glue for the wood cladding.  It is much cheaper and a whole lot easier to deal with than the expanding PU glue.  I just buy 4'x8' sheet of foam from Home Depot/Lowes/Menards and cut it to size with a table saw.  A 4'x8' sheet of 1.5" foam is $21 here.  That makes a couple hives.  

Strangely enough you can buy a 2" thick sheet of foam for the same price $21.  2" is 33% more insulation value for the same money, but is harder to work with and seems to be overkill for Michigan.  I grit my teeth and buy the 1.5".  Actually I wait for a sale and buy it at about $17 a sheet.

I should note:  All my supers are wood.  They get banged around so much, they really need to be wood for durability purposes.  They are off during the winter, so they don't result in a heat loss.

Offline kdm

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 11:07:44 am »
I Found  And ordered 100 jumbo frames at Rossmans. tefer2 i will check  with dadant for wax foundation.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 12:22:52 pm »
Buying frames is a big labor savings.  Smart move!  KDM, how many frames are you going to put in your jumbo boxes?  10? 12?

Offline kdm

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 12:43:59 pm »
 10 frames, My trailer will hold 10 hive bodies. This is the minimum amount i would like to have in a new yard.

Offline dirt road

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 06:18:34 pm »
Bluebee;
It looks, in your picture, like some kind of specialty entrance/bottom/top board between your jumbo brood chamber and the 5 frame supers. Is that an integral part of your brood chamber, or a special adapter to transition to the wood supers? I'm a bit slow witted, so I may be missing something obvious, but just looking at the photo, I can't figure out how the thing goes together. Thanks for the interesting pic.
jim

anything