Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: To split or not?  (Read 1454 times)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
To split or not?
« on: July 08, 2014, 07:57:10 pm »
I installed one package this spring and they finally got going strong. They are about a full 10 frame deep full and drawing 3 frames in the next deep. I don't want to make a split if 2 full deeps is what they should be going into winter. If one deep is good for them then maybe but I have to think ahead and get them to make a queen. The other thing is and maybe the most important, are there drones still out? I have no drones. I had some in the package but they are gone now and the girls never made new ones. So let them be strong or split? Is there a such thing as too many in a hive before winter?

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
Re: To split or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 08:52:48 pm »
I personally wouldent split right now. However I have split single deep into two five frame nucs. Let one raise a queen and overwintered both in a single deep. It was about this time of year.

It can work but I prefer to split from a strong hive.

I'm in south west MO. And my personal cut off for raising a queen is around the first of Aug. I did have two born the first week of Sept last year that worked fine. This is pushing it though IMO.

If they filled two deeps by Aug first I might split them into two singles. They need lots of feed and a bit of luck.
Their chances are better of overwintering in the double deep maybe.

It sounds like I'm contradicting myself a lot. It's just that I've done all the above and had it work. I've also had it not work.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 09:44:10 pm »
I wouldn't worry about splitting them.  You have 1 deep full of honey and brood, and 3 frames drawn in the second deep.  A lot of places are in or fixing to be in dearth for a while, then maybe some fall flow, they wouldn't have much time to build up for winter.  If they get the second deep full and the first one is still full, you may put a super on for more stores or some honey for you.  Good luck to you and your bees

Joe

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 10:47:13 pm »
Sounds like good advice from both, i will take. I am not interested in robbing them this year and maybe not even next year either. I am interested in making many more bees and hives for when I do rob them, it will be worth it. Since I only started with one package, I know it will take time to grow. I also want to grow from what I have and not buy any more bees and/or queens. That is my goal anyway, depends if they survive the winter. Thanks, I will take all the luck I can get. And Joe I understand and maybe when I can afford I will take those chances.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 11:34:19 am »
If there is still a flow going on and if you keep an eye on them and feed if the flow ends and they are not built up enough yet (and reduce entrances enough to prevent robbing) you could split them now in KY.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 04:48:53 am »
Michael, my drones are all gone. Do you think a virgin queen would be able to find drones out in the wild this time of year?

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 05:00:58 am »
Ya she'll find them, they'll find her. your drones are still around, and so are others.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 10:16:28 am »
>Michael, my drones are all gone. Do you think a virgin queen would be able to find drones out in the wild this time of year?

There will be drones out there until everything stops in the fall.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything