Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: D.E. Hives  (Read 2669 times)

Offline mudlakee

• House Bee
D.E. Hives
« on: August 13, 2008, 08:48:52 pm »
Looking for information on D.E. Hives. I have seen a few around, but all in spots where no one is around. I just sent away for their 6 DVD's set.The company is called the Bee Works. Tony

admin@beeworks.com

Offline pcelar

• New Bee
Re: D.E. Hives
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 10:04:04 pm »
I just sent away for their 6 DVD's set.
Excellent set. Dave really knows beekeeping.

Offline mudlakee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 02:53:01 pm »
Thank You Glad to hear that  Tony

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 07:58:12 pm »
Here's what I like about the DE hive:

o It has good ventilation (but you can use the Langstroth kit to provide this for your Langstroth hive)

o It has the frames running so you can stand behind it to work it. (but you can get this in a Langstroth by using the kit or by making your own top and bottom and turning the hive)

o It has a system that almost eliminates having to break frames loose. This keeps the bees calmer, especially when working the brood chamber. (this you cannot get by using the Langstroth kit)

o It is nice dimensions from the bee's perspective. It's a square box and has 11 frames that the queens fills out nicely. (this you cannot get from a standard Langstroth hive)

o The frame design is very light, very strong and very good at keeping the foundation straight in the frame. I wish I could get such well designed frames for a Langstroth. There is a slot in the sides to hold the edge of the foundation.

o The DE frames are really light to handle.

o The DE frames are dimensions such that you almost never have to use a capping scratcher.

o The long end bars are really nice for handling the frames, especially when you're extracting but also when you're working a hive.

What I don't like about the DE hive:

o My biggest irritation is that it is not a standard size. This is no end of frustration when you see something really useful, but it won't work with them. Like a nice triangular bee escape or a top feeder or a bound queen excluder. I get around it a lot by building things that are universal. e.g. a bottom board with 1 1/2" edges instead of 3/4" that is sized long enough for a Lang. I can put either a Langstroth or a DE on it. I built several adapters and often mix the DE supers and Langstroths. Also since it's not standard I can't buy stuff already assembled when I'm short of supers or hives and don't have time to build them.

o There's this space around the ends of the top bars, that the bees can't get to when the hive is closed. The purpose is to keep the bees from propolizing the ends of the bars. My problem with them is the bees run into them when I have the hive open and I can't get them out. Shades of the Arizona, they get trapped in there when I put the covers back on or a super on.

o I did have to modify my extractor to fit them. Maybe some wouldn't but the top part of the rack was spaced too far, so I had to get three threaded rods and replace the ones that came with the extractor. Now it works for either DE's or Langstroths.

o The long end bars (which are so nice to handle) stick down more so you can't have as much honey in the tank before they hit the honey and bog down the motor.

o It takes practice to not knock off the little plastic spacers on the ends of the bars when you're uncapping. It's kind of frustrating to be looking through a bunch of cappings for missing ones.

As you can see there's more I like than don't, but the big problem is the non-standard size. I had four and some spare parts and sold them all.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 09:52:46 pm »
I don't own any DE hives because of the standardization issue (have too much Langstroth stuff).  I do have a Lang conversion kit and I feel it does improve on the standard hive.  I can tell you that Dave and his wife are great folks to deal with.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 10:14:44 pm »
Yes, Dave is very generous with his experience and his wisdom.  They are good to do business with.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin