Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bar manipulations in Spring?  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
Bar manipulations in Spring?
« on: April 30, 2009, 06:10:27 pm »
Two questions:

1. There are a few suggestions on various TBH webpages that suggest putting empty bars in the brood nest area in Late Spring. This serves to apparently increase the brood nest and to prevent swarming.  Is this true and can someone vouch for this?

2. There is also a few hints that TBHs won't make as much honey as they could and that empty bars must be added between the brood nest and the honey storage area.  Could someone confirm this, also?
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: Bar manipulations in Spring?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 11:19:56 am »
I am interested in an answer for this too if anyone can help. Thanks.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 12:24:12 am »
Regardless of what type of hive you have opening up the brood chamber is one method of swarm suppression.  Putting empty frames into the brood chamber is opening it up, and bees building comb in the brood chamber usually don't swarm, so yes putting a blank TBH frame in the midst of the brood area will help iinhibit swarming but will not always prevent it.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 08:59:55 pm »
>Is this true and can someone vouch for this?

Yes, and yes.

> There is also a few hints that TBHs won't make as much honey as they could and that empty bars must be added between the brood nest and the honey storage area.

I've never worried about that, but you could put bars there, I guess.  I don't see that they make less honey, but you have to harvest more often to get the same amount of honey.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin