Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbee trying it naturally  (Read 3916 times)

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
Newbee trying it naturally
« on: May 02, 2013, 12:44:36 pm »
Hi,
I would like to be a natural beekeeper....no foundation..no medications, but lots of help.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Newbee trying it naturally
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 12:56:17 pm »
I would be interested in understanding what you include in "lots of help" and what you think makes it natural.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 02:30:58 pm »
> but lots of help

For whom?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 03:03:09 pm »
i guess my first question would be from whom/where did you get your bees? 

then what type of hive are you using?  what do you plan to do about things like mites?  do you belong to a club or have someone around to help you?

there's nothing wrong with what you want to do, but you will need a plan for the things that go wrong.  if your bees came from someone who did treat, your bees may not do so well without some help. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 03:34:32 pm »
There are different degrees of "natural". The most natural that I can think of is to shake all of the bees out and let them take up in a tree somewhere. If you feed or treat it's not exactly natural. Personally, I feed if needed and only treat if needed and even then only with "natural" chems.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 01:39:04 pm »
>I would like to be a natural beekeeper....

"Do or do not.  There is no "try" "--Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 05:47:15 pm »
And welcome to the forum. 

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 10:28:13 pm »
"Do or do not.  There is no "try" "--Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back LOL  :)

Ain't that the truth...

Welcome and Good luck.

The guys and gals on here are the greatest.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline cdray

• House Bee
    • Find me on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 12:44:32 am »
Hello and welcome!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 02:12:32 am »
Welcome to the forum, Carol.  Lots of the beek here would like to do that.  You maybe able to, but some of us has to do things to help the bee, hopefully.  As you will find out, beek is addictive.  Lots of us are still learning.  Find a local bee club and join it.  They can help you locally.  There are threads and videos here that can help also.  When you have a question just post it someone will answer.  Good luck to you.

Joe

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 03:35:28 pm »
bought my bees from a small cell beekeeper...Sam Comfort of  www.anarchyapiaries.org   Treatment free. He has several hundred hives up and down the E coast. Bought mine in Vero Beach, FL. I bought 2 pkgs. Put one in a Langs (no foundation but a frame of honey from the seller, also foundationless) and one in a TBH with 2 frames of comb.
Big red ants got into TBH and they ended up leaving. Just have one hive and it seems to be doing OK. One deep full of comb mostly brood. They are working on a medium super that I will consider brood chamber if they want it for that. Hope to put another medium super on in a week or two. That will be theirs also. Next medium super can be taken from for us. Would rather feed them their own honey if it becomes necessary.

My yard looks like a minefield (armadillo) and nothing but weeds. I use no herbicides or pesticides. Looks are not what I'm after. I want the animals, reptiles and insects that inhabit my little part of the "jungle" to be comfortable. And to do that they need to be able to eat what ever it is they eat. I just don't allow the big spiders to come inside.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 04:03:12 pm »
Sam is doing small cell now? Last we spoke he had all top bar (natural cell) hives.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 06:32:21 pm »
I thought small cell meant natural cell size. He gave me a deep langs frame full of honey that was foundationless so guess he has them in langs also. But I did get 2 frames for my TBH.

He's a pretty neat guy....would love to see one of his yards of TBHs.

Offline HomeSteadDreamer

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 10:55:51 pm »
Carol, I'm right there with you.  I'm trying to keep it natural as well.  Good Luck.

Offline Sunnyboy2

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 12:32:50 am »
Welcome Carol.  You will find a lot of good help here.  Spend $50 and get Michael Bush's book : The Practical Bee Keeper.  I have been reading this book and wish I had made it my first purchase.  Easy to read and focused on "natural" beekeeping, but does not ignore discussions about treatment, foundation, queen rearing, ect.  Best of luck.