Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees in the backyard?  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Beegirl16

• Brood
Bees in the backyard?
« on: September 27, 2009, 12:44:11 am »
I have a fairly small backyard where we run around and have a dog with free range of the yard. Would any of this disrupt the bees? No one would try to purposely anger the bees, but would everyday behavior be a problem?

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Re: Bees in the backyard?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 12:46:45 am »
As long as the activity isn't right in front of the hive, you should be okay. Put a section of fencing or a couple of shrubs a short distance in front of the hive to get their flight over your head instead of low to the ground.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 09:47:51 am »
Check local ordinances and laws.  In heavily populated areas zoned for residential, there may be limits to how many hives, distance from property lines, neighbors buildings, etc..

Big Bear

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 11:03:33 am »
There is a lot of pros and cons to having bees in town I cant say that I would recommend it in a small area. If you can plan your all your activities in the back yard around the bees you should be ok
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline Beegirl16

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 12:33:07 pm »
Yeah, I checked the law and there is no law about how many hives or how close to the property lines. There's not really much on beekeeping exept that its legal. And its not like we throw parties or have small children. It's more like a place to relax and let our dog run around.

Offline c10250

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 12:49:34 pm »
I have a hive in my backyard.  My neighborhood allows no fences.  I have very gentle bees.  I can even mow around my hive with no disturbance whatsoever to the bees.  However, I will tell you that I have the entrance to the hive pointed in a direction where no one will walk, mow, . . . , etc. in front of the hive.

The front of your hive will be BOOMING with activity when the hive is fully established.  300 bees coming and going per minute.  Bees will fly low until they have to rise to get over an obstacle.  You do not want a tornado of bees streaming in and out of your hive, low, over your neighbors property (or yours).

The funny thing that I learned during my first year (this year) is that the bees want nothing to do with my yard.  Neighbor's, blocks away keep telling me of how many of my bees they see.  I see none!

Ken

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 05:05:17 pm »
It won't take the dog long to learn --- WHAT NOT TO DO :-D!
John 3:16

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 06:40:16 pm »
I have 3 in my back yard (135'x75'). There is two trampolines, 2 dogs, and all the kids you could want to look at. My daughter brings her "posse" home and they all go out back to jump. My wife does the church youth group and they all come over to do things in the yard. To date I have been the only one stung in the 2 years the bees have been here.

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 07:25:53 pm »
I have a 50 x 75 foot yard with another 10 x 30 foot area that I use for the bees.  The place that I put the bees are out of the way and nobody bothers them. So with a small yard you can have a hive and they won't bother you as long as you don't bother them.  This was my first year and I had such a good time that I plan on splitting the hive next year and having 2 in that same area.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/