Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: fruit trees  (Read 7242 times)

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
fruit trees
« on: March 18, 2005, 07:20:45 pm »
How many kinds of fruit trees do you have?  If you're a bee person, you gotta have fruit trees!
I'm growing over 50 varieties of apples, 4 types of pears, 2 types of peaches, 4 types of plums, 1 nectarine, 1 pluot (plumXapricot), and 4 types of blackberries.
Short story:  
I started w/ fruit trees and then found out there were no pollinators in the neighborhood.  Tried to get someone to locate hives at my orchard, but no takers.  Finally decided to get a hive myself and now I'm hooked.  Not sure which hobby I like better.  Only in my 3rd year but now I've got 8 colonies going but likely will stop at an even dozen this year.  Anymore than that and it becomes work instead of fun (as best as I can tell at this point).
Have a nice weekend folks!
"Born Po, Die Po" ........ just need to feed myself in between!

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 07:31:39 pm »
Cherries, apricots, peaches, and Granny Smiths.  And the obligatory strawberry patch.  It's a little crowded out back!!   bahahahahahaahah

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
fruit trees
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 07:51:23 pm »
we have a few of everything, apples, peachs, pears, plums, apracots, cherries and other trees I just cant think of right now, lol, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline buzz

• House Bee
    • My home page... nothing much
fruit trees
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 01:58:53 am »
We just started putting in some fruit trees and so far we have a Comice Pear, a Bing cherry, a Sweetheart cherry and a Lapins cherry. I just can't wait to start getting some fruit from them.
Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------
"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission"

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
fruit trees
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 08:31:45 am »
We have wild blackberries all over the property. Then planted thornless blackberries, thornless raspberries, peach, plum, pear, and mulberry trees. Still waiting for fruit from all but the blackberries.

Beth

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
fruit trees
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 12:51:05 pm »
I have a few apple trees, a plum, and wild raspberries and blackberries all over the place.
Lesli

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
fruit trees
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 08:10:35 pm »
Thats what I forgot, TONS of wild black berrie bushes, taste so good yet can hurt so bad, lol, like that song "it hurts so good", lol bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline taipantoo

• House Bee
  • Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska
Re: fruit trees
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 06:10:03 pm »
I have a granny smith apple tree, 8 blueberry bushes, 2 different cultivators of paw paw trees, a dwarf bing cherry, a dwarf nectarine, and a bunch of wild raspberries.  Spell checker changed rasberrires to raspberries.  Which is correct?
I only have 14,000 square feet and my plot is divided because I have a side-by-side duplex that will be townhoused soon (split with no shared property).

Tai

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 07:13:40 pm »
Key Lime tree, Variegated Lemon tree, Plantain , Bananna, Blackberry, and that is what I can think of right now.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 10:46:41 pm »
Gala Apple, and Snowdrift Crabapple, ... yah I need more.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 12:23:37 am »
At our place in MS, I have blueberries, wild raspberries, domestic blackberries, three Georgia peach trees, we have a few wild persimmon, some kind of pear tree that's not doing that great, that's all I can think of now, and I know they're not all trees but so what, the bees like 'em. Oh yeah I planted 1 & a half acres of clover. ;)
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 01:13:00 am »
Oh yeah I planted 1 & a half acres of clover. ;)

Never mowing the lawn again are we?

If fruit bushes count too then I'll add Raspberries, Blueberries, and maybe Grapes but the bees don't work these I don't think.

Offline taipantoo

• House Bee
  • Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 08:48:42 am »
Grapes!
I forgot the 4 grape vines.

There was a time when all but the 10' X 40' front yard was gardened.
I don't like to mow the lawn.

Tai

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 10:39:36 am »
>Never mowing the lawn again are we?

The clover I planted on my pipeline and powerlines, for the deer and bees. The plots take some maintenance but hoping after the clover comes up I have to do very little to it for the next two yrs. Right now I have buckforage oats, winter wheat and clover. The deer have eaten the oats and wheat down pretty good. The clover is still coming up but will be up in full force around April.

And yes, I don't like cutting grass or Doing Cindi's favorite pastime, weeding. :-D
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 10:40:37 am »
Three heirloom standard apples- I think they are Pippin, black arknasas and a cooking apple of some kind. Planted cherries(rainier), peaches(elberta&redhaven),apples(gala,grannysmith,silken,pinkcrisp,2 I cant recall), pears(bosc&anjou), blueberries, 4blackberries, 2filberts, 2 paw-paw, hardy kiwi,mulberries. I also am letting some Locust seedlings develop and I will try to transplant. Love fruit trees. Also have walnut, hickory and locust trees on prtoperty and many in area
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 11:08:25 am »
Tai, correctly spelled:

Raspberry

I have no clue, try and think of the root of the word, "rasp", wonder what that would mean.

Holy smokers!!!!  Look at all the fruit trees, etc. that everyone grows, what a wonderful thing!!!!  I wish that I could grow everything here, how about making a little micro climate, Cindi, hee, hee......that would be fun, but an impossibility for sure. 

When spring/summer time comes -- the fruit bearing season for all -- let's get a great thread going where all our forum friends can post pictures of their products that they grow on their land.  I, for one, would love to take a walk into your gardens and land, to be taken to your place in this world, to enjoy through the internet, the wonders that we perform with our agriculture.  Think about it, someone start that thread when the time comes -- I may even begin it, who knows, but let's see what happens.  THis is an exciting thought, I can't wait!!!!!!

I can't think of anything more beautiful that to be taken to different parts of the world, through pictures and definitions, if pictures can't be taken.  Every one of us has a beautiful little place in this world, and sharing this with others is a wonderful thing to do!!!  Have the best of a wonderful day, great life. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service