Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where you get your Bees? ** New Pictures Inside!!!  (Read 14431 times)

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
Where you get your Bees? ** New Pictures Inside!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2005, 10:43:17 am »
Good Mourning Everyone!

Great news, Today i will be going in and inspecting my hive, i want to see if everything is good, that the bees are working, make sure there is Larva and the queen is healthy.

I also got my digital Camera back from my sister, so today i will be posting many pictures of my whole setup. :)

Ok guys i'll be posting little later on :)

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005, 08:33:55 pm »
Ok here are some pictures i took of my setup.

Im open for suggestions, iam still very new to this bee scene and willing to learn and take any advice from people who are already really good at beekeeping, so please don't be shy post away :).

Here they are:

IN THIS PICTURE below DO I SEE BROOD, or am i mistaken? please let me know.

[/img]

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2005, 08:41:38 pm »
Yep. That would be brood
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2005, 12:43:19 am »
Hey how long does it take till brood becomes a bee? Im asking because i can't wait to see the growth in my bee population :) already

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2005, 06:08:49 am »
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Beecharmer

• New Bee
Great Pictures
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2005, 05:29:15 pm »
Hi - I am getting my first bees May 14th & loved looking at your pictures.  The water pitcher was a clever idea.  Did you just turn the pitcher over on a container & does it come out slowly?  I was trying to think of a way to supply the bees with water.  Also, was the contraption on the top for shade?  Did you come up with that yourself?
"Outside of a good book, a dog is a man's best friend: and inside a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2005, 05:36:38 pm »
Buckeye replaced the packages lost in the mail, and my five arrived last Friday. I hived them the same day, and Tuesday checked--queens all released. The bees are gentle enough. I needed to tear out some badly drawn comb, and they were fine with it.

We've had fantastic weather, though I hear it won't last. But the girls are out foraging, bringing back pollen and nectar and drawing comb. I saw larvae in one hive, but didn't want to disturb the others. Givent he girls' behavior, my guess is that they're queenright and all's well. I'll do a more thorough check in a week or twl.
Lesli

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
Re: Great Pictures
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2005, 11:42:28 pm »
Quote from: Beecharmer
Hi - I am getting my first bees May 14th & loved looking at your pictures.  The water pitcher was a clever idea.  Did you just turn the pitcher over on a container & does it come out slowly?  I was trying to think of a way to supply the bees with water.  Also, was the contraption on the top for shade?  Did you come up with that yourself?

Ye the water pitcher slowly lets out the water, if it evaporates, so it should last like 3-4  sunny days. i seen someone else do it on one of the bee websites, so i did the same.

As for the Little Roof for the top, it was my idea, first me and my dad wanted to make something attached to the house and put the hive under neath, but than what if we want to move the hive, so we decided to build a little roof so its easy to transport... we didnt think of it as shade for the bees, we more thought about the rain, and bad weather.

Offline burny

• New Bee
great
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2005, 06:55:39 am »
nice photos.  consider early morning sun ,mid day shade, adequate ventilation ( wind flow ) and young boys when choosing a site.
                                     looks great...good job.....watch for nosema.
                                                           God bless, burny.

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2005, 07:19:37 am »
That looks great. Good enough that if I was a bee, I'd wanna move in. :)

Beth

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: great
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2005, 08:02:51 am »
Quote from: burny
.watch for nosema.

Good catch,  some definate fecal tracks in the photo.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2005, 04:21:02 pm »
Quote from: Lesli
We've had fantastic weather, though I hear it won't last.

Boy, that's the truth -- 15 degrees cooler today than yesterday, overcast and threatening rain.

And wouldn't you know it?  When I woke up and came downstairs this morning, my cell phone is beeping with a voicemail.  Seems the post  office called at 5:45 am to tell me my two packages of bees arrived!  So I picked them up at 8 am, went to the office for a few hours, came back and hived them in the early afternon, before the rain started.  Not optimal conditions, but still in the upper 50s and dry.  So they're in.  I got this bunch shipped from Rossman, and the packages looked bigger (population-wise) than the one I got from York last year.

-- Kris

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2005, 06:56:11 pm »
Great Pics!!!!

I love to see bees HAPPILY living amongst close neighbors, as in my case. I always try to impress on people how important it is to have educated neighbors when it comes to having bees in your yard!

Just a note about mine - although I haven't gotten into a thurough inspection yet - can't believe how far behind I am in the basics of this hobby this year, I have noticed a huge difference in numbers of fights in C1 compared to the lagging C2 colony. I am looking at two or 3 days of rain here befor clear skies allow me to inspect them, but I can see that C2 may indeed need requeening, as well C1 which I'm thinking could use a new queen too in order to help curb its angry attitude this season.

I;ll have the camera and digital audio recorder out when I do the inspections - I'll be breaking the hives down completely to get all burr comb out of my way and basically get back to square one!

I'm really displeased with my LACK of Beemaster Radio programs - I swear I have HOURS of programming on my recorder and hard drive now and I'm kicking myself to find the time to edit it all together to make some quality shows. This week was a wash, between doing midnights at work, finishing them up and getting the motorhome www.beemaster.com/bus.html through inspection (yes, I am good until 2007) and also getting ready for a trip of 4 days starting this coming Thursday.

So good stuff is coming, but EVERYONE in the forums is SO ACTIVE and the number of POSTS, growing membership and photo sharing is really terriffic stuff gang!!!! Awesome to see such a wonderful Spring time SHARING of all your good and not so good beekeeping adventures.

Talk again soon!!!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
Re: great
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2005, 08:38:30 pm »
Quote from: Robo
Quote from: burny
.watch for nosema.

Good catch,  some definate fecal tracks in the photo.

u guys kinda scared me with this nosema thing, please explain more what i should do to prevent it and how can i know if its Nosema or not.. what tracks?

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2005, 10:04:44 pm »
what tracks?

It looks like you have bee frass (poop) on the outside of the hive. I'd say no biggie. Nosema is disentary in bees. In winter, when the bees can't void outside the hive ("take cleansing flights"), it can kill a colony. In good weather, from what I've read, it's not a problem. My guess is that your girls (like mine) took a quick poop when you let them out of the package. Bees don't deficate in the hive--they hold it.  If they hold it too long, or their food is bad, or, or, or...

If they can fly where you are, I'm sure they'll be ok.
Lesli