Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi from Victoria, Australia  (Read 2269 times)

Offline FireKitty

• New Bee
Hi from Victoria, Australia
« on: February 27, 2014, 09:55:44 pm »
Hey everyone! Decided to join as I've been wanting to get into beekeeping for some time now, and have just discovered the house out in the country I am moving to has resident bees in the roof... and possibly a chimney as well :P
Am currently crawling through all the posts/web looking for the easiest bee relocation option, as I was originally just going to cut the entire hive out and pop it in a hollow log, until a time came that I can buy (or make) a proper beehive, and perhaps source bees/swarm from existing wild 'log hive'. Have since learnt it's not as easy as that, nor is any local beekeeper really willing to work on a house infestation problem. :(

I have a shopVac I was hoping to use to help me if needed, and I have since ordered a beekeeping outfit with smoker/brush/scraper to help too.

Any input would be handy :)

FireKitty

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Re: Hi from Victoria, Australia
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 10:03:16 pm »
G'day Firekitty,

There are a few of us from Victoria on the forum, post a message in the "Down Under" subforum with a general location you're moving too and someone may be able to help.

Regards,
b

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 10:37:09 pm »
Welcome, kitty. With the bees being in your own home, you have time on your side. As winter is approaching down under, I suggest you leave the bees until spring. Read this thread and the links several times over the winter and get your materials ready. Come spring, you can have bees with very little effort.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,20301.0.html
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 01:29:58 am »
Welcome to the forum, Firekitty.  Would have to agree with Iddee and Bernsad, there are threads and videos here and on you tube.  Good luck to you and your house bees.

Joe

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 09:01:30 am »
Welcome to the forum Kitty.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 05:10:29 pm »
  Iddee I would have thought that you would come down and Tang them out for Kitty !!!
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 05:14:12 pm »
    Firekitty if you put your location into your forum profile you may have someone close who can help.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 05:57:46 pm »
I will, Geoff. Just send me a ticket.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 06:15:46 pm »
    Might just do that Iddee, make sure you bring everything you treasure as it will only be a one way ticket. But you will be welcome so long as you teach all the Aussies the art of Tanging.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 06:18:17 pm »
I thought I taught you, so you could go back and teach the rest.

I'll need a ticket down every October and one back every April. This old body can't take the cold anymore.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline FireKitty

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 09:45:51 pm »
Hi folks, sorry I lost my username so haven't been on in ages! I'm Ballarat, Vic, although more precisely the country house is out near Waubra - where the winfarm/wind towers are :)

anything