Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swingset from hell  (Read 6310 times)

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Swingset from hell
« on: December 25, 2009, 07:31:16 pm »
I put this swingset together for my granddaughter's for Christmas it took me four day's I worked on it till I got angry off then quit then tackle it the next day the instruction's were in three different language's and not one in English the hole's didn't line up and they shorted on washer's and I had to drill the hole's for the teetertotter

http://img130.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img130/9629/1261782948fk9.smil
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
Re: Swingset from hell
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 08:21:15 pm »
Yeah, put together one for the Granddaughter.  Worse than cleaning out a Hornets nest. :(

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 08:29:37 pm »
You did a great job Irwin.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 09:34:43 pm »
I have come to suspect that the phrase "Some assembly required" is actually a code for "Let's screw with the stupid Americans."  Many times we look at instructions and say "What?  That makes no sense!"  I once go a tire changer and the first page of the instructions said "We Hope You Enjoy Your New Purchase", and the rest of the pages were blank.  That was lots of fun! :rant:

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 11:50:52 pm »
Yo Man!
 The swingset looks good to me....but....I wanna see some pics of that boat!. It sure looks like a good one from what I can see!
your friend,
john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 01:43:35 am »
it looks great and you are a good grandpa to do that! 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 11:46:40 am »
I have too go over today to anchor it down when the girl's get going on the swing it rock's. OK johnny bigfish I will post some boat pic's for you :-D And this is the first time I've ever put any thing together and didn't have extra part's left over :?

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 12:00:23 pm »
Instructions??!  We Men! We don't need no stinkin' instructions!

I feel your pain man.  When swingset time rolled around for the grandkids I set two 12' 6x6s in concrete and bolted another across the top - a few eyebolts, some chain and whatnot and they love it.   Of course now you just gotta be prepared for "Grandpa, will you push me?"  You can't say no to that.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 06:34:06 pm »
I feel your pain. When I was as teenager, my parents owned a small town hardware store. My dad offered assembly on everything from bicycles and swing sets to metal storage buildings. I started assembling bicycles and swing sets every year in October. You have not lived until you have assemble a 12 x 12 metal storage building with sliding doors.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 07:41:18 pm by asprince »
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 06:56:05 pm »
I feel your pain. When I was as teenager, my parents owned a mall town hardware store. My dad offered assembly on everything from bicycles and swing sets to metal storage buildings. I started assembling bicycles and swing sets every year in October. You have not lived until you a assemble a 12 x 12 metal storage building with sliding doors.

Steve

Amen Brother, Amen.  Like puttin tagether a 1000 piece puzzel of a Moonless Night :?, in the dark. :? :? :?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 12:44:37 am »
Irwin, eeeks!!!  What a horrid trial and tribulation.  You are the man to see it right through to the end.  I would have given up after an hour.  Well, that doesn't say much really, I am horrible when it comes to putting anything together, even something to bake to go into an oven.  My hat off to ya!!!  Now, those girls will have the times of their lives playing on the swingset, that they will never have a clue of how much work it was to do.  Ah, the innocence of the child mind...good job, friend!!!  The things we do for love  X:X  X:X Have that wonderful, great day, with the best of health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 09:51:30 am »
If the sun comes out today I'll post a video of my Granddaughter's playing with their new swingset.

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 01:29:00 pm »
Just a wild guess but did the swing set say, "made in China" somewhere on it?

We get samples from China here at work.  Some are marked PKD which stands for partial knock down.  We got a PKD UTV side by side that was more like a kit.  It took two of us 9 nonstop hours to get it together.  That is 18 total man hours to assemble he machine with no instructions at all.  I will say that the Chinese really know how to pack a box with absolutely no wasted space but still lack on instructions and fit and finish.
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 07:45:17 pm »
Just a wild guess but did the swing set say, "made in China" somewhere on it?

We get samples from China here at work.  Some are marked PKD which stands for partial knock down.  We got a PKD UTV side by side that was more like a kit.  It took two of us 9 nonstop hours to get it together.  That is 18 total man hours to assemble he machine with no instructions at all.  I will say that the Chinese really know how to pack a box with absolutely no wasted space but still lack on instructions and fit and finish.
You hit the nail on the head. I was going to build one but they rent the place.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 07:50:07 pm »
Here is a short video of the grandkid's playing with there Friend Cody on the swingset they were having to much fun on the swings I couldn't get them to go down the slide.

DSCN0595.AVI My Granddaughter's and a friend playing on the swingset

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 09:41:18 pm »
 IRWIN!!!
 You ARE the MAN!!!
I remember you trying to post your first pic and now youre posting movies!!!!!
That was great!
You know what part I liked best? The SOUND! Thats the sound we all remember as kids on the nabors swingset!! the creaky sound of having fun!!
 You did GREAT! The kids are having a blast!!!
your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 01:19:31 am »
Ah, Irwin, what a fine job.  Not kidding you, what I read you went through to build this contraption, you are amazing.  I was waiting to see the children go down the slide, it looks pretty sturdy and would certainly carry their weight.  Beautiful.  Looks like the weather is quite mild down there, that is nice.  Beautiful gals you got there, smiling.  Have those beautiful days, with love, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 02:44:30 am »
I want to thank you all for your kind words. It's paid for it's self even after the all the problem's I had putting it together just watching the kid's have fun :-D

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 04:03:52 am »
I want to thank you all for your kind words. It's paid for it's self even after the all the problem's I had putting it together just watching the kid's have fun :-D
I was going to ask if you thought it was worth it after I saw the video, but you've already answered. - I thought your anchoring system was clever too.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline mdaniels

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 07:45:44 am »
You did a great job.  :)  Many years ago, my husband and I put a swingset together and sweat over it for the entire weekend.  It was a horrible experience!  The kids enjoyed it for about a week--then we went away on a short vacation and returned to find a windstorm had toppled a tree right on top of the swingset....never again!!!!  Lol, its funny now, but it wasn't then!

anything