Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bears again  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Cold Bees

• New Bee
Bears again
« on: June 14, 2007, 05:29:14 pm »
I just had my first bear hit my first hive.  I am about to invest in ElectroBraid and a Parmak solar charger, does anyone have any experience with Electrobraid, or have any other suggestions?  Also, since the bear got in once, what is it gonna take to train the bear off?

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Bears again
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 05:53:54 pm »
A 30-06
 Chain leenk fence with top on anchored in ground with one electricfied stran around.
The critter getter worked for me with deer till they got use to the hives being there.
Electric is the only thing that keeps them out of the garden. :shock:
doak

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 05:59:00 pm »
i would just use 12 gage wire and flag it.  you'll get a better charge and do fewer repairs. it also costs less. bait the fence with some bacon or something so that they get zapped.  that ought to do it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 05:59:38 pm »
Not to thread jack, but a simple bar of plain ivory soap will keep deer away.  I know my mom has bars of soap on top of a small post scattered anywhere she has something planted that the deer will eat.  They used to eat her sweet potato's to the ground until they killed the plant.  She put out some bars of ivory soap and they won't go anywhere near them.

Offline Keith

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 08:27:42 pm »
The bradded fence works great to keep the bears away just hange some bacon over it the bear will hit that first and get a mouth full of juice. Works for us in N.H. If they do try to get through they usually get tangeld in it and still get the crap shocked out of them.

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 10:12:19 am »
AAWWW, Poor bears.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 10:23:53 am »
Here is what works well for me.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=983.msg53926#msg53926

The key is to make sure you bait the wire so they "get it" on the nose or tongue.  If you don't bait it, they will walk right thru it,  their fur insulates them.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison