Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Successfully moved my bees from a borrowed brood box to a new one! Question??  (Read 2252 times)

Offline harvey

• House Bee
I originally borrowed a deep brood box from a friend.  the bottom was screwed on as he used it to move bees.  Today I successfully moved the bees into a new deep brood box.  I had already installed a second deep brood on top of that.  This is a swarm that I caught I think three weeks ago.  
  When I was doing this I was real careful.  I don't think I injured any bees.  By the time I was done though they were pretty pee'd.  I had a couple bounce off of my new veil.  Glad yall talked me into that!  I found four or five frames with capped brood.  I found two or three that were full of either honey, syrup or nectar?  I believe that I put the second brood box on to early though as none of the new frames were drawn out.  They are just working the old ones that I borrowed and that had comb already on them?   I did see one or maybe two bees that had what looked like orange bands on both rear legs.  As some of the old frames were put into the second brood box there are bees in both boxes so I don't want to pull the second brood box.  Now questions:
!  the bee or bees I saw with orange around there rear legs?  What was this?
2. These bees are not pulling comb on the new frames yet?  Do I just leave them alone?
3.  Should I be feeding them now?  I am in Michigan
4.  The brood nest is not compact as far as five or six frames together as I put two old frames into the top brood box when I put that on.  Have I damaged the hive or just set it back?
    I am ok now to just leave them alone for a few weeks or whatever.  Who can help me here?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:24:26 pm by harvey »

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
IMO I would put the frames you moved back into the bottom box untill 6-7 frames are covered in bees and drawn out. 
No I dont think you hurt the hive at all they just take time you prolly wont get any honey out of your girls this year but get them to completly fill the bottom two deeps for winter then you will have honey next year. The girl with ornge leggs is forraging and that was pollen!! Aint it great!! :-D  Keep them down to 1 box for another week or 2 when they fill out 7 or so frames then you move up (i did 3 ) frames with unhatched brood with the nurse bees still on it to the top box then you wait a few weeks and get back in there and see hoe the progress of the top box is going the queen should have laid new eggs on the new drawn out comb.  Welcome to beekeeping. 8-)
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
I agree with David, put them back in the bottom box until they draw out 7 or 8 of the frames and then add the second box and move a couple of the brood frames up to the center of it. Replace the brood frames with foundation frames (or foundationless  if that is how you are going), place the new frames inbetween drawn frames.

Good luck with it.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
>>>>I found four or five frames with capped brood.  I found two or three that were full of either honey, syrup or nectar? <<<<

Hey, guys, are you not reading. It seems to me he has 6 to 8 frames full. It is time to add the second box. Remember, this is a swarm, not a split. Swarms work much faster.  Yes, feed until 18 frames are drawn and covered with bees. Then ask again. It depends on how long it takes to get there as to whether you keep feeding after that.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
WOW I did miss that one  :shock: yes its time to add a new box and transfer up top.
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline harvey

• House Bee
Ok so there are two deep brood boxes setting out there for the bee's.  I guess now it is just wait.?  Should I give them another two weeks or a month before I mess with them again.  Yes this is a swarm that I caught, well it actually came to me and landed in my orchard so I just gave them a home.  They have been in there for about three weeks.  From what I have read it takes 21 days to hatch form egg?  that means that any day now the capped brood that I saw will start hatching?  How fast will the hive grow once that happens?  Will they start drawing new frames then?   Originally I had put in ten frames that had comb drawn in them and one had some honey in it.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
With 1500 to 2000 bees emerging daily, I would do a quick check on the progress in the top box once or twice weekly. Swarms build fast.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline harvey

• House Bee
I am not sure I saw all that much brood!   Sure would be nice though.    Can't hurt as I won't be disturbing the bottom box just lift the lid and peak?   See if they are drawing out he new frames?   Should I keep feeding until they draw the frames out?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
>>>> Should I keep feeding until they draw the frames out?<<<<

Did you read post # 3?

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline harvey

• House Bee
Yes I did read it.  Been reading everything on here that I can and appreciate all the advice.  Guess what I should have asked is what to feed.  I have been putting sugar water 1 to 1 out in a chick waterer.  They take it real well.   But have been thinking about picking up some brood builder or pollen patties?   The advertisements sound good?   or am I just a sucker that way?   Would it be a good thing to buy pollen patties to go along with the sugar and water?