Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Adding windows to two top bar hives - advice/opinion needed  (Read 6045 times)

Offline Hoosier

• New Bee
Adding windows to two top bar hives - advice/opinion needed
« on: August 11, 2011, 01:49:12 pm »

I have two newly-purchased, unassembled, 48-inch-long top bar hives ready to put together.  I have a carpenter coming Monday to cut a 6- x 40-inch window in one side of each of the two hives. 
Here's my question: Does anyone see anything wrong with the following plan?
The walls inside are 11 x 46 1/2 inches.  I plan to get glass panes that are 10 x 45 1/2 inches and let the rest on the bottom board and use short screws with small washers on the ends to hold them down (loosely). 

Offline BeeV

• New Bee
Re: Adding windows to two top bar hives - advice/opinion needed
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 04:19:45 pm »
I'm assuming that you are doing this to avoid having to rout a rabbit around the hole to accept the glass. If thats the case, why not just cut the glass 11 x 45 1/2 so you don't have a ledge on top for them to attach comb to? Then just attach at the ends with mirror clips. Only drawback I can think of, would be the area between glass and wood would a good place for ants and stuff to hang out. I think I would use tempered glass.  My $.02
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you.

Offline Hoosier

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 04:58:42 pm »
I'm assuming that you are doing this to avoid having to rout a rabbit around the hole to accept the glass. If thats the case, why not just cut the glass 11 x 45 1/2 so you don't have a ledge on top for them to attach comb to? Then just attach at the ends with mirror clips. Only drawback I can think of, would be the area between glass and wood would a good place for ants and stuff to hang out. I think I would use tempered glass.  My $.02

"Mirror clips"!  Had to Google that.  Great idea... much better than screws w/washers.  Thanks, Beev.
Also, "...good place for ants and stuff to hang out..."  Hmmm, hadn't thought about THAT. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Offline Hoosier

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:31:20 pm »

"Mirror clips"!  Had to Google that.  Great idea... much better than screws w/washers.  Thanks, Beev.
Also, "...good place for ants and stuff to hang out..."  Hmmm, hadn't thought about THAT. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Beev, glad you thought of that! Seems that there's a caulk that I can use around the outer perimeter and the edge around the window; it's called Dap WeatherFlex, and the ad says that it adheres to glass.

Offline BeeV

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 06:09:27 pm »
You could just use 100% silicone. As long as it's fully cured it shouldn't hurt the bees.

Offline Hoosier

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 09:53:36 pm »
You could just use 100% silicone. As long as it's fully cured it shouldn't hurt the bees.

What's required for it to be "fully cured"?

Offline BeeV

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 10:39:07 pm »

What's required for it to be "fully cured"?

Recommendations are on the tube but 24-48 hours dry time would get it I think. Should be dry to touch in a couple of hours.

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 11:44:21 pm »
You can also get aquarium silicone you can get it at any fish store it is food safe and fish safe plus sticks to glass, so it should be bee safe.
Lori

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 01:05:19 am »
Keep in mind that the combs will fit the cavity.  So if the window is on the outside the combs will protrude into the hole for the window by the thickness of the wood.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 01:10:04 am »
sounds to me like there will be mostly glass and not much wood on one entire side of the hive. strength might be an issue if you ever have to move the hive for any reason. i can't tell anyone what to do, but if it were me i'd leave at least 3-4 inches of wood on either end and at least 2-3 inches of wood on top and bottom to give it more support. otherwise the glass is going to be taking all of the stress if it is moved.
Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"

Offline Hoosier

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 08:03:07 am »
Keep in mind that the combs will fit the cavity.  So if the window is on the outside the combs will protrude into the hole for the window by the thickness of the wood.

Mike, thanks, the glass will cover almost all of one inside wall.   

Offline Hoosier

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 08:03:43 am »

Offline Hoosier

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 08:16:21 am »
sounds to me like there will be mostly glass and not much wood on one entire side of the hive. strength might be an issue if you ever have to move the hive for any reason. i can't tell anyone what to do, but if it were me i'd leave at least 3-4 inches of wood on either end and at least 2-3 inches of wood on top and bottom to give it more support. otherwise the glass is going to be taking all of the stress if it is moved.

Thanks, bulldog, I'll have him make the window 5" x 40" instead of 6" x 40".  

anything