Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: empty hive  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
empty hive
« on: June 02, 2013, 06:17:16 pm »
I will be unable to check my hive for a month or more. I have an empty hive with a shallow super sitting on the same hive stand, about 6' between it and my 2 1/2 month old hive. I have the empty hive there hoping to attract a swarm, especially if the other hive should swarm while I am gone. Could that become a problem or can I leave it there.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: empty hive
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 07:04:40 pm »
If it is drawn comb and not protected with BT, then the wax moths will likely destroy it before you get back. Other than that, it should be fine.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 07:20:39 pm »
Nope..foundationless....although they are used frames etc. I did use a torch on them and scraped all the wax I could off..but there still may be a bit here and there.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 10:16:39 pm »
No problem. Should be fine.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:29:45 pm »
You might should have left a little wax on the wood for some bee scent.   Use some lemongrass oil in it. 

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 09:56:42 am »
I hope I am pleasantly surprised when I get back....and find another hive busy....but will be happy to see the one I have still here.