Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trigger(s) for buildup  (Read 1486 times)

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
Trigger(s) for buildup
« on: March 19, 2013, 12:02:18 pm »
Spring buildup...  
Is the only thing that actually triggers the buildup is the beginning of the nectar, which we stimulate by feeding syrup?

Or, will just the presence of new pollen and the fact the hive has plenty of honey begin the buildup?

I ask because my hive has plenty of honey, the bees are getting oodles of pollen, but if I feed, they start to backfill the brood area, which I do not want to have happen....At least I don't think I want that.

Once I saw that a couple weeks ago on my initial inspection, I quit feeding.  Will the pollen they are bringing in be enough stimulus for the build?  (That is being put around the edges of the brood area.)
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
Re: Trigger(s) for buildup
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 12:22:13 pm »
I believe it's multifactorial.  I don't really know what causes a hive to build up, but I suspect it's a combination of increased sun/temperature, pollen coming in, and nectar coming in.  If your bees are bringing in pollen then they are likely gearing up.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:35:44 pm »
Length of days and pollen are bigger triggers.  Enough stores to burn raising brood is helpful as well.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 01:40:24 pm »
I ask because my hive has plenty of honey, the bees are getting oodles of pollen, but if I feed, they start to backfill the brood area, which I do not want to have happen....At least I don't think I want that.

you don't want that.  we are at the beginning of our build up.  you want the queen to have lots of room.  this early, we have more pollen than nectar, although you are lower and may have more trees starting to bloom.  if mine have plenty of honey, i don't feed.  let them bring in the pollen, which they need for brood, and leave space for brood.  just keep an eye on them because they can go through stores quickly when they raise brood and you know how quirky our weather can be at this time of the year.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 02:55:02 pm »
The fact is that sugar feeding does not stimulate spring build up.

Spring build up is a long process, about 6 weeks. How can you feed hives so long?
Yes, you can and you will fill the brood space with syrup.

Language barrier NOT included

anything