Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I have AFB now what  (Read 18675 times)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: I have AFB now what
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2013, 08:22:02 am »
Hint: AFB is a brood disease it will not kill adult bees.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2013, 09:03:55 am »
>Now that is a good question.  Can bees be vaccinated?

The thing that does the most to prevent AFB are the microorganisms, especially in the gut of the bee.  This was first documented by Martha Gilliam
http://www.beeuntoothers.com/index.php/beekeeping/gilliam-archives

and more recently in this study:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0033188

The bacteria in the gut of the bee actually forms a biofilm that protects the gut from things like Nosema, but it also changes the pH of the gut and inhibits things like EFB, AFB and chalkbrood, all of which do better at a higher pH.  So the best thing you can do to prevent AFB is to NOT use antibiotics like fumidil and Terramycin (Oxytetracycline).  But Martha's studies and the other one as well also showed that sugar syrup disrupts the bacteria some as well and makes them more susceptible to all of those diseases.  So the next best thing you can do is not feed sugar syrup...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2013, 09:09:17 am »
So the best thing you can do to prevent AFB is to NOT use antibiotics like fumidil and Terramycin (Oxytetracycline). 

What about AFB residing on equipment, especially inside the hive?  They say it can be latent for decades.  I am honestly concerned because there have been several outbreaks in the next town.  We bought equipment from someone who has recently lost at least 40 hives.  I just found out that some bottom boards and lids were second hand.  The offsider did the dealings with him and I guess didn't have the heart to refuse second hand gear.  He had also given him half a dozen or so stickies which are now spread through a few hives.  There are no signs of AFB in our hives, but our hive numbers are increasing, and it would be terrible to lose them all.  Any suggestions are welcome.  Should I move those stickies to the wall till the brood hatches then burn them?

I got steel to make another 5 hive tools, our 80 cents hive tools.  I thought about leaving one at each bee yard.  I am trying to clean them better with a heat gun every time I use them, but this still won't get rid of AFB spores.

Lone

Offline Sunnyboy2

• House Bee
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2013, 10:07:06 am »
Anybrew,
Sorry for the grief you have gone through.  Thank you for posting.  The information and idea exchange has been a great education.  I hope that as you move into your winter that things are comming together for you again.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2021, 11:56:36 pm »
BUMP
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2021, 12:32:47 pm »
There is an interesting article on AFB in Beeculture Feb 2021 " Vaccination of honey Bees against AFB"

anything