Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Snotbrood  (Read 2619 times)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Snotbrood
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:09:42 pm »
It seems that inspectors are throwing around a term to define a condition in the hive called "snotbrood".

But it seems nobody can really say what it is, what the treatment suggestion would be, or how to minimize it in the future.

I've had a few hives over the past 3 years or so, that had these symptoms, Dead larvae melting in the cells similar to AFB. But it does not test positive. And although it takes a few weeks, the bees will overcome the situation. I have noticed it primarily in the spring about the time after corn planting time. Is it from chemicals, I am not sure.

But it irks me that beekeepers get inspected, the inspector says they got snotbrood, but beyond that, everyone is in the dark.

I know that PMS is an overload situation seen with high mite levels, that may contribute to different seen symptoms as it just screws with the hive. But this "snotbrood" seems different than what I have traditionally called PMS.

Anybody have a clue what snotbrood is?
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
Re: Snotbrood
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 04:43:29 pm »
PMS? I know when I suffer from second hand fall out  :-D but what is it in the hive?

What are the overall symptoms smell and so on with snotbrood?

mvh edward  :-P

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 05:06:01 pm »
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Maryland Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • Nature does nothing uselessly. Aristotle
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 08:31:25 pm »
Saw EFB referred to as snot brood

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 09:50:21 pm »
I have heard the term thrown about without definition too.  No help here either. :-\

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:01:06 pm »
EFB would be my guess. The symptoms all match.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:21:33 pm »
I heard the 84 year old beek refer to a hive as having snotbrood. I didn't want to act stupid, but finally just had to ask. His reply was EFB.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 01:29:13 pm »
I have heard it called "Parafoulbrood" and read of it often being misdiagnosed as AFB.

Parafoulbrood is caused by Bacillus para-alvei and possibly combinations of other microorganisms and has symptoms similar to EFB and AFB. As with any brood disease, a common solution is a break in brood rearing.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything