Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Other uses for LC foundation  (Read 9209 times)

Offline Mairzy_doats

• House Bee
Other uses for LC foundation
« on: March 23, 2009, 05:00:41 pm »
I was given a box (about 15 sheets) of large cell foundation by a former beekeeper. I didn't refuse, since I was also given an entire box of unassembled medium frames. (woo hoo!!) So I'm wondering if there is something I can do with the foundation, even though I'm planning on going foundationless. Use it for starter strips maybe? Or would that cause a mess? They're wired, if that makes a difference. I was thinking, and this may sound ridiculous to you veteran beekeepers, but what if I put it in the frames and then cut it out so that there was only a small strip running all the way around the frame that the bees could fill in with natural comb? Or would that cause problems? Don't laugh.....I'm very very new at this :-D

~mary

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Other uses for LC foundation
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 06:44:35 pm »
why not just use it for honey supers?   The crimped wires are very tough, you'll most likely just destroy it if you try cutting the wires.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 08:32:55 pm »
I had a couple leftover sheets of it and I used tin snips to cut it into starter strips, worked fine.  But Robo's idea would work great also.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Mairzy_doats

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 09:43:23 pm »
Does it matter that the bees are already small cell? If not, then I'll definitely put them in the supers. That would be easier than cutting them up, as long as you think they'll accept it.

~mary

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 09:52:30 pm »
I don't think it'll matter.  Honey storage cells are normally larger than brood cells so they should use your "large" cell just fine.  That being nothing more than my opinion, I'm sure someone who has actually done it will chime in eventually.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 10:09:43 pm »
Yes,  even small or natural cell bees draw large cells for honey and drone cells.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Mairzy_doats

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 10:26:55 pm »
You guys are awesome! Thank you!

~mary

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 08:57:53 pm »
You can make rolled candles.  Show it to people to contrast normal sized cells.  Melt it down.  Cut it up for starter strips.  Give it away.  Sell it...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 06:43:42 am »
you could send them to me, that's all I use  :evil: ;)
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Mairzy_doats

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 11:31:47 am »
You can make rolled candles.  Show it to people to contrast normal sized cells.  Melt it down.  Cut it up for starter strips.  Give it away.  Sell it...

You wouldnt recommend using it in the honey supers? Why?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 03:32:58 pm »
I have no problem with the concept of using starter strips from it.  If you plan to use a queen excluder (and I wouldn't) it might not do any harm, but then again,  for the same amount of effort from the bees you could have gotten natural sized or small cell sized combs.  Why settle for large cell combs?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 07:03:46 pm »
I have no problem with the concept of using starter strips from it.  If you plan to use a queen excluder (and I wouldn't) it might not do any harm, but then again,  for the same amount of effort from the bees you could have gotten natural sized or small cell sized combs.  Why settle for large cell combs?

MB, you say this like small cell bee's only make small cell, everyone I talked to plus what I have seen my self will say they build all different sized cell's on a single frame when building it naturally unless you use a solid sheet of small cell foundation. 

Amateurs built the ark,

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 09:58:26 pm »
>MB, you say this like small cell bee's only make small cell, everyone I talked to plus what I have seen my self will say they build all different sized cell's on a single frame when building it naturally unless you use a solid sheet of small cell foundation.

Correct.  But they don't build solid sheets of 5.4mm combs.
-------------------

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 09:49:18 am »
what does it look like when it is drawn out? I am just curious because never seen what it would look like, does it kinda resemble bee's first attempt at drawing out SC? mine bee's drew out SC good except where the wire come down the foundation, they draw regular cell foundation out fine also but my bee's aren't SC bee's.

Amateurs built the ark,

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 11:31:49 am »
Here's a typical natural comb of honey:
http://www.bushfarms.com/images/FoundationlessDrawn.JPG
-------------------

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 11:43:15 am »
not natural comb frames MB, I have seen thousands of those, I want to see what a frame of 5.4 foundation looks like when SC Bee's try to draw it out...

Amateurs built the ark,

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 01:16:11 pm »
It looks like perfectly drawn 5.4mm comb.  They have no trouble drawing it bigger...
-------------------

Offline Mairzy_doats

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 02:47:17 pm »
That is some nice looking comb. What did you use for a guide? And is that a split bottom on that frame?

I have decided to use the LC comb for starter strips. It breaks apart at the wires really easily so I won't even have to cut it. Mainly since I pulled them out of the box and there all for deep frames, which I have none of. Besides, I wanted to try a few with starter strips and a few with wedge guides, and I ordered some SC comb and I am planning on putting a sheet or two of that in just to see which they do faster. I'm not going to confuse them by all these different things am I?

~mary

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 09:37:19 pm »
>That is some nice looking comb. What did you use for a guide?

I cut a bevel on the top bar.

> And is that a split bottom on that frame?

Yes, it was a grooved top and a grooved bottom bar.

>I have decided to use the LC comb for starter strips. It breaks apart at the wires really easily so I won't even have to cut it. Mainly since I pulled them out of the box and there all for deep frames, which I have none of.

You'll need to add enough pieces to fill it out to the end of the bar.

> Besides, I wanted to try a few with starter strips and a few with wedge guides

They both are worked by the bees about the same.  The wedge guide is more durable and less likely to get messed up.

> and I ordered some SC comb and I am planning on putting a sheet or two of that in just to see which they do faster.

Let us know the outcome.

> I'm not going to confuse them by all these different things am I?

Not at all.  But they will probably ignore your foundation and do the foundationless first.
-------------------