Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cutout sandwich frames - bottom hinged - split in half  (Read 8341 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Cutout sandwich frames - bottom hinged - split in half
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:20:03 pm »
Has anyone used/have frames that are used for cutouts? i have seen frames which are essentially normal but split vertically with wires on both sides of the split. These frames are then folded apart and when you're doing a cutout the comb is laid between the sandwices and then folded together (i spose you could apply some current if you wanted to actually embed the wires). I'm interested in having a few of these for the 'just in case' or if they're too cost prohibitive i'll just tie the comb in  :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Cutout sandwich frames - bottom hinged - split in half
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 11:37:47 pm »
You can split a normal frame, or you can cut 1/2 X 1/2 inch, "12mm X 12mm" strips and make two half-frames that way. They work great and save a lot of time and aggravation.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 01:08:01 am »
I like the idea. It would have saved me a hell of a lot of agro.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 01:50:01 am »
Yeah they look pretty awesome! and easy to use!

Open them up and lay leaves flat on the ground/table - lay your cut out comb on the wires, fold the top leave back over and clip the two halves together. How easy is that! no juggling trying to tie bits and pieces in to the frame and make sure it holds in position

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 03:08:00 am »
hi
 sounds like a good idea have to make couple up.i normally us thick rubber bands put frame over the cone and cut t out to suit.then slide few bands around it.ran in to trouble at miles my bands been siting in sun .not good thing.hinged frames be the way to go.has any one made these yet.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 06:57:43 am »
They work great, and it is all I use now.
http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/cut-out-frames/

String is not only a pain in the butt to put on, but the bees end up burr combing it up.  Rubber bands are a little easier to use, but when you get heavy comb, the bands stretch with the weight and he comb doesn't stay straight.

I use regular frames and rip the pieces on a bandsaw before assembly.  I then staple embedding wire on both sides and use a wire crimper to tighten the wires

Next batch I make I'm going to try fishline instead.  I have done a bunch of foundation with fishline (credit to fatbeeman) and it seems to work great and is much easier to get tight.

I also use two loops of embedding wire around the bottom bars to act as hinges.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 08:12:13 am »
hi
    good idea ,i do some this winter ready for next season.putting frames and supers together now.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 08:12:52 am »
Dee Lusby has been making and using them for decades and calls them "Swarm ketching frames" for reasons known only to her, since it's not a swarm but a colony you're "ketching".  But they work great.  Her's are just cut from old retired boxes.  You run the 3/4" boards through the table saw and make them 3/8" by 3/4".  Then cut them to the size of a frame and nail them together.  Then hinge two of them with either a scrap of an aluminum can or a scrap of a plastic bottle for a hinge.  They only need hinges on the bottom and no need for anything up to.  If you drill a number of holes in the end bars (centered) and run wire and crimp it you've got your frame.  The hinges go on the bottom and gravity will hold the top shut.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 06:09:23 pm »
I've built 3 frames now and after struggling with string and rubber bands in the past I look forward to trying the hinged frames on my next cutout. I'm not the quickest of workers and anything that speeds up the whole process for me has got to be good.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 02:04:01 am »
Don't forget to take a small battery and some wires - you can embed them as you go  :)

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 02:16:05 am »
most of dee's swarm ketching frames are not hinged, she just uses a staple gun to attach them.  (drawings by Ramona from our book):

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 09:32:20 am »
Doesn't that look like they are hinged on the top bar?  Thumbs up
Brian Cardinal
Just do it