Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Flooding in Queensland  (Read 4831 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Flooding in Queensland
« on: January 01, 2011, 11:08:39 pm »
Here's hoping that all of our down under Brothers and Sisters are high and dry. I'm hearing it's a bit rough.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
Re: Flooding in Queensland
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 06:19:18 am »
Dear Scott,

thanks for the concern, some mates up around Rocky and Bunderberg are doing it tough with the loss of many of their hives and property. They are both kicking back swigging on some Bundy and beer wishing it was all over so they can get back to normal. Still be a few weeks before their is any serious let up as there is more water to flow out to sea yet. One of them was up at a place called Tully a few years back and had the same thing happen.

Offline Lek

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 08:32:06 pm »
Yep, had the same problem here in Mackay a couple of years ago, 4000 home went under water, mates house was so deep that the only way he could get around inside his home was to paddle a canoe.
We have had constant rain here for the past few months, and the wet season has just officially stared, much more to come yet according the weather man, just hope it not a repeat of last year cyclone, and a couple of years before with the Big flood.
Poor old Rocky down the road is now getting all our water, which will stay up for a couple of weeks, but if the rain sticks around we might have to call in Noah & co. to help get us out of the place... For interest for our overseas friends.. the wet season runs through to March, so we bound to get a bit more over the coming days.. It might be a bit wet now, and lost of food crops washed away, but think of the coming years, plenty of underground water, bumper crops, creeks and river having a mighty good flushing. fish stocks returning. Hey, it nature way of correcting. But at the same time many people are hurting bad. Cheers Lek

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 06:10:29 pm »
Well I'm stuck at the oldies at Bundaberg after an 18 hour drive last saturday from Dubbo to get here.  I am now stuck.  There is no milk in the shops and supplies are a little low in town.
The good news is that there is still plenty of Beer but I don't know when I will get home.

Cheers

Offline Daz the Drone

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 08:42:24 pm »

Anybrew,   not to trivialise your situation, but if you drink enough of it, do you think anything will matter?  :-D

Hope it all turns out well.

Cheers, Daryl.

Honey, is good for diabetes, yes??? :D

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 08:59:55 pm »
Yo Daz, no worries mate I even think that I might have to drink some Bundy Rum to ease my food hunger.  Then as you said not much will really matter at all.

Cheers
Steve

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 06:22:56 pm by Anybrew »

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 09:06:53 pm »
From a Victorian who was caught up in the Feb 2009 fires our thoughts are with you guys! stay safe!

Offline Daz the Drone

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 09:59:08 pm »

Well, never thought I'd see the day .... Its rained so much down here, that a mates dam burst and took our local bridge with it.    But we have it good.   All those other poor sods on the mainland, geeez, I hate to even think about the grief and turmoil they are going through.

God's speed to them.

Cheers, Daryl.

Honey, is good for diabetes, yes??? :D

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 10:27:15 pm »
We've been seeing some horrid footage of the flooding on this side of the globe. Brisbane may get hit next?

Head for the hills and stay safe!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 01:59:41 am »
Well my friend,

Brisbane got hit with thousands home and business's flooded or inundated with water. The peak of the flood did not reach the predicted levels. The main dam Wienhoe reached almost 200% capacity. About 15 people have lost their lives and there about 50 missing. All over the media here since a couple of days ago.

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 09:49:14 am »
Sending warm thoughts and prayers to all of you.  I hope you and yours stay safe and dry.

Puts our "Snowmagedon" week here in Atlanta in perspective.

love,
ziffa

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 09:53:13 am »
Don't you mean snowpocalypse?   But it is not as bad as getting flooded out of your homes and loosing everything like down under.  There are areas hit here with the 500 year flood last year that still look like a bombed out waste land.

Offline WPG

• House Bee
  • The Land Between Two Rivers
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 10:16:35 pm »
Tossed a few sandbags around here trying to keep the Mississippi out of places over the years, sometimes in a cold sweat, worked a couple of times.

But you guys are having it hard.

Always admired AU, more power to ya.

We're thinking of you.
Push, Pull or get Out of the Way

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 11:13:12 pm »
Has there been any word from Slicko, Meadlover and any other Brisbanites?

Please let us know how you are going as soon as you can!

It's dry as a bone here.

You haven't copped the floods there in Victoria, I hope, Mardak?

Lone

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 01:03:13 am »
Hi Lone, we copped all around us, bridges went under, flats flooded like I have never seen them before. Creswick, Clunes, Skipton, carrisbrrok were flooded to either a greater or less extent. My road washed out but then council will come and grade at some stage. needed it anyway. my dams are full, a first for many years. This arvo it is 30 deg plus so the humidity is thick. A few trees came ,so tha'ts some of the winter wood needing cutting. One of the daughters stayed in Town for the night because water over roads. Other than that we were very fortunate compared to the people of Queensland.

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 09:56:41 pm »
Thanks for the concern guys,

I'm fine as my place is a fair way from the Brisbane river. Had a little bit of water in my rumpus room, but it's tiled and there wasn't anything on the floor, so all good from my end.

I know Slicko's place is on high ground, so fingers crossed he should be fine.

Must check on my bees this weekend, it's been nearly 2 months since I've checked on them so hopefully they're still  doing well and not washed away or smashed by SHB.

ML

anything