Thanks
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: WORMS
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 09:36:17 am »
We had these same worms on the white boards we took out of the hives yesterday( to open them up for ventilation).  These hives are strong, I see no signs of wax moths in them, yet the larvae were all over the boards.  Do the moths lay in anticipation of perhaps getting a foothold?   I wouldn't think I should spray an active hive with Certan, especially since I see no evidence of moths in the combs.  Thoughts?

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2007, 07:35:52 pm »
Here's a picture of the ugly things.....are they wax moth larvae?  Should we be worried?  These hives are strong, I thought they could only get a foothold in weak or empty hives?

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 07:59:05 pm »
cleaning behaviour is also animportant factor. a hive with a strong one, will rarelly see them, as for the "lazy" ones..

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 10:31:16 pm »
Thanx, Mici, but....that is a wax worm larvae?  Do we have anything to worry about?  It was only on the board, there are no webs whatsoever in the hive....... :?

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 06:26:01 am »
when i think about it..what else can it be?
worry about it,ha, tricky one. i have a "messy" hive, and there are always a few worms on the bottom when i open them, but so far, bees seem to keep an good eye for comb. i think that as long as you keep your bees in a "tight" box-so they can tak care of all the boxes, it should be just fine. how NOT to do it, was posted a few days ago, from our friend from downunder.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 07:38:27 am »
I was actually assured on another forum (cough, cough) that the girls were doing their job, the larvae had been evicted from the hive.  I gave them a nice spot in the hot sun, I don't think they're going to be a problem now  :evil:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 10:47:54 am »
Ann nice picture, but man is that thing ugly.  What is the hook thing sticking out of the front of the worm?  I am pretty sure they are the moth worm larvae.  Eeeks.

I found a worm kind of that looked like that in my garden soil, only it was very smooth looking.  I took a picture of it (but alas, you know my problem here about timeout, no pictures yet).  My husband wiped out my computer, but I am still having the problem with posting and pictures.  Maybe one day get it figured out.  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 08:51:43 pm »
I think that's just a piece of debris under the little creep  :-D

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
  • 1st & only hive installed Friday April 13th, 2007
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 05:55:10 pm »
Hello All -- I'd like to reopen this thread.  I've found some worms on the tray of the bottom board of my hive that this look very much like this.  Yuck! 

Last time I was in the hive itself I didn't see anything out of the ordinary, . just some smaller worms on the bottom board tray.   I haven't had time to go in the hive but have been monitoring the bottom board tray.  The worms seem to start off encased in a sticky thready web like cocoon and are much smaller…  and thinner…  but seem to grow to look like this. 

Was it a consensus? Are these wax moth larvae? 

Can the bugs get up into the hive through the varrao mite screen & slatted rack?

Will the bees go to the effort of coming to the back of the hive and onto the bottom board to kill them? 

Reinbeau -- I believe this was your picture.  How did this work out for you?

Thanks all,
Bee1

Here's a picture of the ugly things.....are they wax moth larvae?  Should we be worried?  These hives are strong, I thought they could only get a foothold in weak or empty hives?

Bee1 with all Stings of the Universe.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2007, 09:50:01 pm »
Yep, wax moth larvae.

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
  • 1st & only hive installed Friday April 13th, 2007
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 10:38:21 pm »
to be honest I don't know whether I have a bug problem or not.  I did see those larve on the bottom board but  I took off the solid bottom board and haven't seen anything out of the ordinary inside the hive...

Bee1

Bee1 with all Stings of the Universe.

Offline sadvic

• New Bee
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2007, 12:11:50 pm »
The coloney can die out so fast, not nescessary absconded, and the moths will move in and eat everything that isn't robbed by other coloneys.In a matter of just a few weeks. Not saying what might have killed the bees in the first place. Bees don't need to be in a lot of shade. Wax moths like shady areas.

Offline Erik T

• New Bee
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2007, 04:30:50 pm »
Since you are in Georgia, do you have a SHB infestation?  I known I do and they also produce worms.  Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do for those other than have strong colonies and trap the beetles.