Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Potentially aggressive cut out  (Read 2467 times)

Offline bonsai

• New Bee
Potentially aggressive cut out
« on: June 07, 2013, 11:41:43 am »
Co-worker asked if I would get some bees out of the exterior wall of his father's house that had been there a few years. I went to look at it last night. Its about 5:45 CST and there's easily 100 bees crazily swarming around the entrance hole- not foraging traffic (see video). They just started this activity recently.  Nothing was done to stir them up.

It seems like they should be in the outer wall which is easily accessed by removing the T111 paneling. There is a remote chance they are actually in the floor joists. Strange architecture going on so I'm not sure.

We stood a good 30-40' away and three people got stung. I told him if I decided that they were too aggressive (AHB) or it went back into areas I could not get to, I'd save what I could and I'd at least help him kill them.

I've done a few removals but the activity on this one has me a little spooked.

Here's a video on my FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=video_comment

What would be the best time to do this? I've seen several recommendations to do this in the evening?  Trap out first?

Thanks!

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Re: Potentially aggressive cut out
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 09:42:18 am »
If you don't have a top quality bee suit you feel comfortable with I would rethink any removals in Texas area with the recent attack of AHB. I approach every hive with caution and fully suited when opening just to test the waters just in case they are very aggressive. Some are hard to deal with due to their aggressiveness but usually calm down once settled into the bee yard. I also inform neighbors of what is going on and tell them to stay the distance when removing because you don't know if someone is allergic to stings. Better to safe than sorry.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 11:58:16 am »
I always have a jacket handy, but hot as it is and you suit up just to test a hive. hot as it is a bee suit is more of a hazard to your health than a few stings
to bee or not to bee

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 09:11:58 am »
I always have a jacket handy, but hot as it is and you suit up just to test a hive. hot as it is a bee suit is more of a hazard to your health than a few stings
Bud you just need a ventilated from Suzy at Golden Bee to take care of that  :-D Some of the hives I have gotten into I would have taken more than a couple stings and being a construction worker I am used to a little sweat.   ;)
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

anything