Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees Freaking Out On Ground  (Read 5356 times)

Offline timdalyiii

• House Bee
  • Bee Cool
Bees Freaking Out On Ground
« on: July 06, 2012, 10:10:37 am »
I'm a hobbyist and only have one colony.  I've noticed the occasional bee on the ground looking like they've injured a wing or something and are unable to fly.  Yesterday I noticed five bees on the ground.  They all looked like they were fighting nothing.  Here is a link to a video.  Any ideas of what might be happening and what, if anything, I should do about it.

Bee Issue

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Bees Freaking Out On Ground
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 10:32:40 am »
That's just a drone that's not going gently into that good night...no biggie.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline timdalyiii

• House Bee
  • Bee Cool
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 05:22:33 pm »
Thanks Scott!  That's a relief.

Offline timdalyiii

• House Bee
  • Bee Cool
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 01:03:51 pm »
Actually, most of the ones falling out of the hive look like workers and it looks like their wings are damaged or something.  Every few minutes another bites the dust. 

Offline Blackwater Bee

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 01:09:28 pm »
Actually, most of the ones falling out of the hive look like workers and it looks like their wings are damaged or something.  Every few minutes another bites the dust.  

tim,

Are the wings looking like they are broken or worn ( holes or pieces missing off the edges ) or deformed ( curled or small ) ?

Vid not working for me ( I'm at work )  :evil:

Offline timdalyiii

• House Bee
  • Bee Cool
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 07:54:32 pm »
No, one or both are pointing straight out to the side in a 90 degree angle to the body instead of being more in line with the body.  I opened the hive this after noon and 8 or 10 fell out of the top on the ground like that.  A lot of 'normal' bees in there.  I'll post a picture tomorrow.  We're having a storm right now.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 07:03:39 am »
Sounds like you may have Tracheal Mites. Grease Patties are the only fix I know of. Could also be Varroa Destructor, grease patties help with them also. The wings sticking out is called X-wing. This is a sign of problems.
Grease patties are made with Crisco and powdered sugar, add powdered sugar till you can handle and make patties. Making your own powdered sugar is best. An old coffee grinder, the blade type works best for me. The stuff from the box will work also.
Hope this helps.
Later,
Ray

Offline timdalyiii

• House Bee
  • Bee Cool
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 04:46:14 pm »
Here is a picture.  I have some APIGUARD I can treat with.  Thanks for the help.  There is a trail of bees buzzing around on the ground and in the hive.  I feel terrible. They have plenty of stores to use while I treat before I'll need to feed again.  It's been extremely dry here.  All the plants and flowers are dying.

http://instagram.com/p/M1PrNSPCwX/

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 02:10:51 am »
I'm not a big fan of chemicals like that in the hive. Nothing to feel bad about. You're watching and treating. That's all the most experienced beekeeper can do. Look around try to verify the ailment. I gave my best idea any more experienced folks out there?
Later,
Ray

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 01:41:53 pm »
There was a great article in one of the recent magazines about using a powdered sugar shake to test for mites.  You can determine if it's varroa or tracheal, though I suspect varroa.  I'll try to find it.  Once you determine that...

HopGuard?  If you use it as prescribed this time of year, it won't solve the problem, but it will buy the colony some time.  I say that because it will do an incredible job of knocking back the freerunning mites, but you'll still have a huge load inside the cells.  You'll have to continue monitoring and/or combining the treatment with something else like Ray's grease patties or powdered sugar shakes.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 04:48:54 pm »
That pic doesn't show K wing virus.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline timdalyiii

• House Bee
  • Bee Cool
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 11:28:32 am »
I've been treating with ApiGuard and grease patties.  It's been two weeks and it's not getting better.  I did a 48 hour sticky board count and only got two SHBs.  The bees don't seem to be that interested in the grease patties.  I did accidentally use peppermint oil instead of spearmint oil.  I don't know if that would make a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mJWiG2srf8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOo7NndXiNs

Anyone have any other ideas for me to try? 

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 09:00:35 pm »
How often are you going in? It looks to me that your hive is doing fine and you're just seeing older bees dying off or weary foragers trying to get back in. Remember that this time of year several thousand can die every day from burning themselves out. They've got to die somewhere. With no mite count (are you sure of that?) in 48 hrs I'd say they're doing great!

Take the grease patties off...they're a feast for SHB. And I personally wouldn't treat for mites if there are none!

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 09:10:07 pm »
yup, by the  end of the flow there are tons of dead bees in front of my hives.  they do their best to make it back with a load, but some of them just don't make it in the door....or don't make it into flight when they go back out.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline timdalyiii

• House Bee
  • Bee Cool
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 05:13:32 pm »
Until a couple of months ago the colony was at my parents house for the last few years so I didn't see them on a daily basis, like now. Hopefully I'm just freaking out over nothing.  I took all meds off and am feeding syrup now.  We have been in a drought for quite a while.  I did a deep inspection today and didn't see any larva and just speckled capped brood.  Hopefully she'll start laying again.

Thanks for the feedback.

anything