Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just Ordered Equipment  (Read 3016 times)

Offline BoxerDad

• New Bee
Just Ordered Equipment
« on: October 31, 2011, 09:28:53 pm »
Really excited, just ordered my first ever bee keeping equipment for two 10 frame hives from Mann Lake.

The best was that the shipping was free for ordered over $100. Figured I better get a jump on it this way it gives me plenty of time to assemble and paint everything.

I was trying to decide whether to paint or stain the pine. I have no clue as far as what type of stain or paints are "bee friendly".

Any suggestions as far as paint vs. staining? The only advantage that I can see is that paint will peel and blister.

Need some help and opinions on which way to go, and also how does Mann Lake rate compared to the other companies out there?

Thanks in advance. :)
This is the end result of all the bright lights, and the comp trips, and all the champagne, and free hotel suites, and all the broads and all the booze. It's all been arranged just for us to get *your money*.

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
Re: Just Ordered Equipment
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:26:18 pm »
Welcome to your new obsession,
I use exterior urethane,  just let it cure for about a week before putting bees in.  Mann Lake is a good company, but most of them are, only reason why there big lol.  Some of the smaller companys may have better deals and its always a good idea to help the little guys instead of making the rich, richer.

And its not to soon for sure,  you have lots of reading and studying to do, try and get involved with your local bee club.  You will learn a lot here too, there are some of the best bee keepers in the country here.  But for the time being,  read read read
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 09:26:06 am »
Mann Lake is a fine company.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 09:43:37 am »
Michael, interesting you did not mention your method of dipping in wax..of course a newbie has none.......

Myself I went to Home Depot and got some exterior paint that was miss match for $5 for a gallon....normally $35 a gallon.  I got some tan color.  Blends in garden nicely.

BD, isn't it exciting?  Building my stuff, but I have loads of time
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline BoxerDad

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 10:40:44 pm »
HeY Jack

My stuff from Mann Lake is due to arrive on 11/7.

Pretty exciting, debating on whether i should just stain or paint. Need some stain recommendations. Also was thinking about marine varnish, should hold up really well. Just don't know what effect it will have on the bees if any once it is dried.

I have so many hobbies the wife is going to kill me. Amateur Radio, Koi Pond  (in process), need to install liner and fill before it get's too too cold. Want to see how much it will freeze before putting my koi in next spring.

The kids are screaming about the bees already LOL

Not to mention my Boxer Dog ( 9 years old) and my new puppy Great Dane who will be 7 months on the 5th. He's topping the scales at over 130 lbs.

Tons of fun. Guess I never grew up LOL   54 going on 18.. But what the hell I don't care I'm having fun !!!   :-D
This is the end result of all the bright lights, and the comp trips, and all the champagne, and free hotel suites, and all the broads and all the booze. It's all been arranged just for us to get *your money*.

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 09:22:45 am »
I painted my first hive boxes with exterior latex I had left over from another project. After that I started milling lumber for hives I build (7/8" thick) from Eastern White Pine, and I don't paint.

as to the Koi pond freezing - I leave the waterfall pump running year around  :-D
-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY

Offline S.M.N.Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 10:25:15 am »

If your on a budget check with the local recycling center. Some of them have odds and ends buckets of paint ,stain and varnish that you can get for free.

John

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 11:27:40 pm »
i have a koi pond the fish stay in year round and i do indeed run a waterfall on warm sunny days to melt ice, but if I just let it run 24/7, I would freeze my pond to the bottom!  You may be enough warmer climate  that that is not a concern, but you might want to think about it.   I figure I need to have open water three days out of a week to let decomposition gasses escape and Oxygen in.  If I do less I start losing fish.  Congratulation on your new hobby.

anything