Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moldy Miller type feeder  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Parksguyy

• House Bee
Moldy Miller type feeder
« on: August 25, 2012, 04:00:25 pm »
I just purchased a couple of these miller type feeders but one has some mold in it.  Can it be cleaned (with what?) and used again ... or is it garbage?  Thanks

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Moldy Miller type feeder
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 01:14:41 am »
I am not familiar with that feeder, but if you can run water though it, you should be able to rinse it out with some water with bleach in it to get rid of the mold and then rinse with plain water to get the bleach out.  I use the bottle with holes in the lid, every now and then you will see a little mold, I clean it out and ready to go again.  Good luck

Joe

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 12:30:01 pm »
I always use vinegar to clean the mold on feeders...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Parksguyy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 09:20:54 am »
Thanks guys, wasn't sure if using bleach was ok or not ... was at a local beek's meeting yesterday and a few others mentioned using alittle bleach.  I will try using the vinegar first I think, there really isn't alot of mold on this feeder.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 01:25:26 am »
I use to raise coon hounds, I would rinse out their pens every now and then with 3 parts water and 1 part bleach.  Wait  an hour or 2 rinse pens out with hose and give the dogs a bath with dog soap and then put dogs back in pens.  The dogs and pens would be clean.   bleach kills most things and with 2 or 3 rinses  should have bleach gone.

Joe

anything