Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm trap activity!  (Read 1585 times)

Offline rubeehaven2

• House Bee
swarm trap activity!
« on: June 11, 2013, 09:41:19 pm »
I set up two swarm traps and got an 8 frame deep ready for bees about a month ago.  One of the swarm traps had activity 3 times, but no go with the swarm.  I made some modifications and have been patiently waiting.  Well, today I get home from work and see 2 or 3 bees checking out one of the traps, (with queen pheromone and some lemon balm for attractant).  An hour latter there are at least 20 or 30 checking the place out.  So, I happen to go over the the empty 8 frame deep, about 30-40 yards away, and it's got a load of scouts all over it too! (And, I didn't put attractant in it!) So, I figured the bees were from the same swarm and checking out different options.  But, then noticed some fights breaking out at the entrance of both the 8 frame and the trap!

Am I safe in guessing that 2 swarms are inspecting at the same time, at each location?  Weird huh!

I'm happy either way!

Thanks, Rich :-D

Offline Gary and Margaret - kiwimana

• House Bee
    • kiwimana
Re: swarm trap activity!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 05:36:53 pm »
Wow that's cool, did you get both swarms in the end?

Gary
Thanks

Gary and Margaret
We blog and Podcast at http://kiwimana.co.nz

Offline rubeehaven2

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 11:10:04 am »
Believe it or not, the next day both trap and 8-frame where completely empty.  No activity at all!  I was truly bummed!  After so much scout activity, and nothing!  I have to figure out how to make the traps more enticing I guess!  I was very surprised the 8-frame wasn't even good enough for them!  These bees are way too picky.  I don't believe they had a "Queen", more like a "Princess"!

Rich

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 12:49:48 pm »
not sure what lemon balm is.  you need lemon grass essential oil,  a shady location, a few ft off the ground and a few old brood frames.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 01:02:01 pm »
Add some slum gum, the black stuff you get after melting old wax.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 01:12:18 pm »
i have traps and equipment out all over the place, but the bees never use it.  this year, a swarm ignored all the ready made homes up in the field and came down to the house to the observation hive.

i had seen scouts all over my stuff also, but they passed it all for the living room.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 04:19:43 pm »
I also set out many traps and have spots that make catches year after year but this was a strange year.  Last year I caught somewhere around 24.  That was about a average year.  This year I only got 14 and only 5 in traps.  3 of those 5 came from the same site 3 weeks in a row   The swarm season also started late and ended early. 

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 05:25:38 pm »
Dang if bud don't have the best luck with traps I have ever seen. Maybe it's the way they smell after the old coot touches them  :devilbanana:
John 3:16