Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Woo! Not all winter clusters just let you break in!  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Woo! Not all winter clusters just let you break in!
« on: February 03, 2008, 01:51:35 pm »
Today was the second day of 50+ temps, so I figured I'd take advantage of the weather and add some pollen patties. There was plenty of honey on the hives. But boy, the girls were EXTREMELY unhappy having their homes opened...the hottest I've ever experienced. Other people have said here that the winter clusters won't do much when you peek in, but mine must be the exception!

The pollen patties didn't fit in the gap between the boxes so well...I had to do a lot of smooshing to get them in. One hive, I had to put some duct tape around the new gap created between the boxes...I didn't want the wind getting in. From what I've read, the patties should just fit right into that space.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Woo! Not all winter clusters just let you break in!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 02:01:14 pm »
This is the time of year when they are most likely to be unhappy when you open up.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 02:25:26 pm »
I learned that the hard way!

Well, it's good to know, anyway. I was glad to see the hives were doing so well, so a few stings to see that were worth it. :)
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 05:03:29 pm »
You and Me both  :shock:

I also took advantage of the warm weather to go down to the farm and see the girls. There was activity in front of all 9 hives, which warms my heart thus far. I also put in 1 or 2 scoops of granulated sugar on wax paper across the top of the frames for them. Some are using it up, some are not. I did receive an unkind warning though, got stung thru the glove ( what good are they anyways ). They say six more weeks of winter, the sooner it leaves, the sooner we Beeks can play with our girls, well sort of  ;)

Today was the second day of 50+ temps, so I figured I'd take advantage of the weather and add some pollen patties. There was plenty of honey on the hives. But boy, the girls were EXTREMELY unhappy having their homes opened...the hottest I've ever experienced. Other people have said here that the winter clusters won't do much when you peek in, but mine must be the exception!

The pollen patties didn't fit in the gap between the boxes so well...I had to do a lot of smooshing to get them in. One hive, I had to put some duct tape around the new gap created between the boxes...I didn't want the wind getting in. From what I've read, the patties should just fit right into that space.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 06:11:07 pm »
Try scraping the top and bottom bars on the frames so the patties fit better-first round of patties always the hardest but smooth sailing after you scrape the frames  ;) RDY-B

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 06:13:40 pm »
Try scraping the top and bottom bars on the frames so the patties fit better-first round of patties always the hardest but smooth sailing after you scrape the frames  ;) RDY-B

I thought about that, but they were so unhappy with me reaching toward them with the pollen patty, I wasn't about to try scraping burr comb out from the middle of the cluster! :P

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 07:49:46 pm »

I thought about that, but they were so unhappy with me reaching toward them with the pollen patty, I wasn't about to try scraping burr comb out from the middle of the cluster! :P
    Couple light puffs of smoke will drive them down and clear the way-you had a smoker going right  ;)  RDY-B

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 08:36:07 am »
Couple light puffs of smoke will drive them down and clear the way-you had a smoker going right  ;)  RDY-B

Of course! :P But interestingly, they barely responded to the smoke at all. The ones that did, though, were quick to boil out from between the frames when my hands came close. *Note to self: when not needing the dexterity to manipulate frames, wear gloves*

Offline Sir Stungalot

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 09:41:47 am »
I have the same "problem". Last week I was out messin' with some hives, bright, sunny day ect. ect. but I tell you what....YIKES!
Today it will be in the high 70's and it is my day off-this means no excuses, time for spring inspection. I do not look forward to  it.
Even my smallest, crummiest dink hives were cranky last week.
Usually, they do not pay a bit of attention to me- I do, however, ALWAYS suit up, no matter what, no matter the time of year.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 10:10:26 pm »
They will be in a MUCH better mood when things are blooming...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything