Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: MAD MEN - almost done with Season 3  (Read 2673 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
MAD MEN - almost done with Season 3
« on: July 21, 2010, 12:16:11 am »
Hi all:

I mentioned 2 weekends ago about downloading all of Mad men, luckily Comcast on-demand has all of season 3 - but I found S1&S2 and we are now done with S3-E5.

As much as I liked the first two seasons, season 3 has dragged I think. The "JUMPED THE SHARK" (term used to explain when a series makes a major change to help get extra episodes and seasons out of, in this case by pulling a British company as controlling interest in the company. Betty is now starting an affair and Peggy has turned into one of the guys with some occasional bigotry coming her way.

It has been fun watching the women characters grow, and this gives me a little time capsule of me when I was his (Don Draper)'s son's age.

So we have this weekend to catch up on the rest of the show (about 7) then on the 25th the new season starts. No giving anything away, I caught a few commercials that told me too much already.

So I'm keeping two other full series I'm downloading - I'll explain which soon, as soon as choose which we will watch them.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
Re: MAD MEN - almost done with Season 3
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 07:48:22 pm »
Just replying as a follow-up. I just finished Season 3 of Mad Men, interesting turn of events and Season 4 AIRS tonight - great timing :)

I know. we were knocking them off quickly, but I've been working weekends and that limits us to watching just 2 episodes in the week-nights. It just amazes me, me and women alike cheated, drank, smoked and it all seems accepted as long as it is kept somewhat private.

The show started late 59 and is now into January 63 - 2 episodes ago was the JFK assassination. and now everything is falling apart in the main character's family and his company of Ad-men were bought out by the Brits, now being sold out - so they are trying to salvage what accounts they could grab and restart a multimillion agency from a hotel room - interesting. Surely better cliff hangers than WEEDS which I will be shocked if this isn't the last season, it just isn't going anywhere.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 04:54:26 pm »
Thought I'd add, I'm up to date as of last night's show of Mad Men. Although lots happen from 3 into 4 with Don and the company of course. The other characters just sort of stubbole around doing different things each week. I don't know where it is going.

They are now Christmas 1963, JFK dead a month now, all is back normal in the world of Mad Men except we find tidbits about each character each week, you find one has a 4th girl frlend and another enjoys his booze a bit too much.

By the way, I thought Duck and Peggy's relationship was a bit more serious than she is expressing - with a new boy friend, I swear I missed something. I though the Christmas show was lame except for showing how weak, lame and moraless Don Draper really is, although he wants to be that dream father, either his DNA or his lack of character in a job (at least in the 60s) lower than used car salesmen.

The Character they have done well with is Peter Campbell - the slick blank hair PERFECT STEREOTYPE 60s character he is - I think it is HIS turn to shine and not be left out of everything RIGHT before his eyes.

Anette I agree the times surely would NOT have looked the same if they BANNED the film from showing smoking, and loving it - seems like an FCC brain-freeze in this PC world.

There was a rumor about 2 years ago that ANY show that portrayed SMOKING OF CIGARETTES would automatically get an NC-17 rating - can you imagine every great movie made if a REAL bar scene wasn't set with lots of cigarettes and heavy music with rich deep colors. I sure hope the rating systems DOESN'T Date back and retate classic films which NEVER would have gotten where they are with an NC-17 rating. That is almost a death sentence for a film. All because of smoking, wow.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 08:32:08 pm »
  HHmmmm never heard of that series... then again... I don't have cable, just OTF (Off The Air).  Sounds interesting though...   But today, I actually ordered CABLE!!!! Comcast had a special for $29.95 for 6 months digital cable with HBO. No 2 year commitments like satellite (which daily thunderstorms here would probably knock it out). My mum has cable at her beach house and I really dig the HGTV shows, Biography, History and the learning channel. Makes me want to paint my house...! (after the deeps)

...DOUG
KD4MOJ