Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Crosscombing  (Read 2603 times)

Offline frodog1023

• New Bee
Crosscombing
« on: May 30, 2014, 01:26:46 pm »
Hi folks,  well I have my two hives doing great!  Only issue I seem to be running into is that the "Lady's" are cross-combing in certain areas.  I'm not sure if I should just leave these combs be because they will be primarily brood.  Any suggestions would be great. 

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Crosscombing
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 11:45:58 pm »
If possible I would cut and try to press or cut loose and rubber band straight.  Once they get started messing up the comb if not fixed they keep on usually.  Good luck

Joe

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 12:40:40 am »
I have a question for you. What direction are the top boards in?
Are they aligned north to south. I normally try to keep them aligned that way. Even  my turnstile observation hive. I try to return it to a N & S alignment.
I just read in "Honey bee biology and beekeeping" that they have determined that bees can detect the magnetic field of the earth and prefer to align the comb to it. Years ago I had read that natural hives are usually aligned to N and S. That is why I try to keep them aligned N&S. I am real curious if it would fix your problem. 
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline frodog1023

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 08:46:46 pm »
I do have both my hives facing North-South.  I built everything according to the plans I had, must just be one of those things I need to learn how to deal with but so far I love my TBH's and find it fascinating to just sit and watch the critters do their thing.  Thanks for the input.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 08:06:02 am »
Thanks for the feed back. I was expecting you to say the top boards point east and west. So much for that theory.   :-D
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Joe Moore

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 06:03:46 pm »
Fix them asap. Cut, straighten and press back on the bar. It will only continue through the hive. Make sure your hive is level and plumb.