I started with foundationless. I've had one frame go wonky in my now three-box-high setup - the bees squeezed an extra half-wall of comb down between two frames somehow. The orientation is still the same way, so it's probably less of a worry for me. I cut out the wonky frame and straightened the one under it gently on a warmish day to correct the orientation. It's probably back to being wonky.
The conditions I am in appear to be forgiving for learning (gentle bees, strong nectar flow, quiet environment, spent a lot of time ensuring base would be perfectly level and oriented correctly), so it's almost certainly got very little to do with me.
I am only using Warre-style boxes, which means that a box is smaller - the advantage there is that if something goes odd, it's less work to correct.
I have considered unprinted sheets, or making them, but so far haven't needed them. I expect that will probably change at some point, but for now it's been nearly effortless. I coat popsicle sticks in wax, and affix them into a little run with more wax, so they protrude about 7mm. The bees do draw comb very, very quickly - I've been told that they'd be even faster with foundation.
It's probably more luck than anything else, for me, but they seem to do their own thing in a fairly orderly fashion. Because I have half-frames I can lift them easily for inspection, because they're shorter, in a Warre box, the combs don't get so heavy they break off when examined. I never inspect once the temp gets above 30C, to avoid the wax being too sloppy/fragile, but I have literally no experience to tell me this - it's just a guess.
The wonky frame I went in when slightly warmer, so I could adjust things with my fingers. It worked quite well, just required internal silent screaming as I'm new and the bees were walking all over my hands. I don't have heavy gloves, so I just wear the thin latex ones. My wonky frame had a wonky paddle pop stick