Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Planted Stratified Ginsing seed this weekend  (Read 2938 times)

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Planted Stratified Ginsing seed this weekend
« on: March 01, 2016, 12:54:45 am »
Put some seeds in the ground.  The work was harder than I thought.  I had to clear the hillside of honeysuckle with a skidsteer and bushhog.  Tough work not to damage the surrounding trees.  Put down about 1/3 acre of seed, some were busting open.  This was not an easy install, hillside, lots of debris, poison ivy, honey locust, briar's.  Hope it works out.  Will install the other portion next weekend.  I have a lot of east facing hillside and plan to populate with ginsing for the next couple years.  I hope to live long enough to harvest this stuff.

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
Re: Planted Stratified Ginsing seed this weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 10:59:49 am »
Hope yours come up better than mine. Tried a couple times. Nothing. Same story with ramps.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 10:50:19 pm »
Ob,
What did you plant, roots or seeds?
What do you think caused your bad luck?
Thanks,
JV

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 10:14:55 pm »
JV, Ginseng requires a double dormancy. In other words it'll go through two winters before it'll come up. Stratified may be different. I saw a guy on you tube take ginseng seed, place it in a screen wire pouch he made, then put it in the ground. During or before the second winter he dug it up and planted it. He may have soaked it as well. The screen wire helped with the stratification and protected the seeds from rodents.

Ever hear of crossvine (bignonia capreolata) 1st cousin to trumpet creeper. It's suppose to be better than ginseng. Slower to build up and slower to wear off. Back in the day folks would mix the leaves in the feed of hidebound animals. Normally mules. That's when you work them so much their bodies just shuts down. I have some growing and will give it a whirl this year.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 12:59:11 am »
JV, Ginseng requires a double dormancy. In other words it'll go through two winters before it'll come up. Stratified may be different. I saw a guy on you tube take ginseng seed, place it in a screen wire pouch he made, then put it in the ground. During or before the second winter he dug it up and planted it. He may have soaked it as well. The screen wire helped with the stratification and protected the seeds from rodents.

Ever hear of crossvine (bignonia capreolata) 1st cousin to trumpet creeper. It's suppose to be better than ginseng. Slower to build up and slower to wear off. Back in the day folks would mix the leaves in the feed of hidebound animals. Normally mules. That's when you work them so much their bodies just shuts down. I have some growing and will give it a whirl this year.

Yep, I drink crossvine tea almost daily, wonderful flavor. It actually starts working on the adrenal glands in 4 days, ginseng takes 28.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 03:08:45 pm »
peanut, my leaves don't look that big. I have it in direct sunlight. The blooms resembles that of trumpet creeper but distinctively different in color. Again, this is my first time fooling with it.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 10:49:49 pm »
I planted two kinds last month.  American wild and chineese.  I planted them in pots and have them under a big shade tree.  The wild american came up but the chineese type didn't.  Both seed type were supposed to be stratified.  See you in seven years.
gww

anything