Was called to do a trap out in a walnut tree. The homeowner had a bad experience with the last removal attempt. They tried to vac bees, pull out whatever comb they could, then put a screen over the opening and left. Well it apparently ticked off the bees a bit, when they did find a way out they were stinging everyone living there for days. The "bee keepers" came back and tried to poison the hive somehow. Has been two years since and they're still going.
I made an an L shaped platform with the plywood back. Put a 2-1/4" hole in the back and screwed the frame to the tree and sealed it with screen and some black foam. Then drilled another corresponding hole in the hive body. Just butted the box up against the plywood.
I didn't give them time to get used to the new entrance before placing the box. In a couple hours they were using the front entrance of the box. Still some stragglers looking for the old entrance, but they should figure it out.
After another few hours I placed a frame of eggs and a few small larvae in the box. Will check tomorrow to see if the queen ventured out. In a week or so I'll put in a one way and force the trap out.
I'll try to keep posted on the progress.