Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's Flowering: NSW  (Read 1648 times)

Offline 220

• House Bee
Re: What's Flowering: NSW
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 11:34:34 PM »
Plenty flowering here in Sothern NSW, blackberry is pretty much done but what the locals call dogwood has been going strong for a few weeks and the Aus blackthorn has just started. Still a lot of ground cover flowering, scotch thistles are still going and I am guessing the dark pollen the bees are storing is from it. Plenty of bright yellow/golden pollen still coming in as well, not sure if it is from the St Johns wort or the dandelion that are both still going. Lots of saffron thistle and the bees were coming back into the hive with pale yellow pollen 10min after sunrise this morning. Not sure what it is, still some small patches of white clover flowering and a few other ground plants Im not sure on.
Apart from one messmate tree that had a few flowers on one small limb the trees are doing nothing yet.

This is what the local call dogwood

While I have plenty flowering I have no idea of there value as pollen or nectar sources for bees.
Can anyone help with pollen and nectar values on the dogwood and Aus blackthorn.

Offline Milo

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 04:13:35 PM »
Hey mate, I tried getting my google-foo on for Cassinia aculeata (dogwood) but couldn't find any data.

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 04:55:05 PM »
I had the same problem, found a couple of references to it being a valuable nectar source for butterflies but that was all, no references to its value to bees.

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 06:47:49 PM »
I've only got data on cassinia laevis.  2 records of it count 13% protein,  and 21% protein.  So read that as you will. I'd say fair quality of pollen.  Mixed with all the others you listed, thisles etc your bees should be doing alright.

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 05:24:54 AM »
Still a bit of dandelion flowering southern NSW 750m, messmate still hasn't done much, noticed a couple flowering 4km away a few weeks back but nothing since. Checked an ideal box I put on a nearly 3 weeks back, 10 days ago they were just starting to draw the frames, today 75% is drawn and 50% filled. They are obviously finding something, don't think I will get a harvest but they should be well stocked for winter.

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 02:13:10 AM »
Bees are still finding a feed, noticed a couple of trees along the creek while fishing today that have what I think is some sort of ivy growing over them getting worked really hard by bees.

Still a few chasing the dandelion

Online Miikeboyle

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 05:33:22 AM »
Where abouts are you located 220? Here in Sydney the paperbarks are in full flower and a break in the wet weather has seen a fair bit of bees on them. My bees are near Braidwood and last week there was not much in flower I could see and they were looking pretty short on honey.

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 07:05:54 AM »
Bees are at Batlow, hives are about 750m.
Seemed to have a reasonable flow at present but Im not sure what they are bringing in. No big bloom at present that I can identify, tail end of the dandelion, a few thistles still and the odd euc.

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2017, 06:41:05 AM »

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

anything