Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Processing my own soil for gardens  (Read 988 times)

Offline minz

• House Bee
Re: Processing my own soil for gardens
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 01:05:24 AM »
Fill up your garden right on plan. Sent off a soil sample to your local extension agent and he will tell you what to do and how to do it. I hate to send them the $10 but it was not the advice I was expecting.
I got my sunroom table packed full of starts of tomato?s basil eggplants catnip and some rosemary, In the ground I have peas, radishes, beets, lettuce, kale. Let?s get this party started!
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 09:06:48 AM »
Fill up your garden right on plan. Sent off a soil sample to your local extension agent and he will tell you what to do and how to do it. I hate to send them the $10 but it was not the advice I was expecting.
I got my sunroom table packed full of starts of tomato?s basil eggplants catnip and some rosemary, In the ground I have peas, radishes, beets, lettuce, kale. Let?s get this party started!

What did they tell you?

Online stung again

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 03:04:23 PM »
I tried the Back to Eden method, but in raised beds. Worked well.      Only problem was as the wood chips composted they initially heated up for a while. I had to give it some time before I could plant.

Offline bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 09:07:36 AM »
I tried the Back to Eden method, but in raised beds. Worked well.      Only problem was as the wood chips composted they initially heated up for a while. I had to give it some time before I could plant.

Cool. Thanks for the link

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 08:58:18 PM »
My yard at home is a very heavy clay, in wet weather it becomes extremely water logged with pools of water on the surface, in dry conditions it sets like concrete and then cracks with cracks up to 1.5" wide. I also have a few large trees nearby that love to send roots into anything you try to improve.
Best decision was to go to raised beds and start from scratch. I put a sheet of plastic down as a root barrier and 2' raised beds above it. Soil for the raised beds came from the farm, 50/50 clay from where we were feeding cattle hay, probably more organic matter and manure than clay and then alluvial from along the creek.