Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ayn Rand on news reporting...  (Read 161 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Ayn Rand on news reporting...
« on: February 22, 2017, 04:38:52 PM »
Some Ayn Rand to do with news reporting from the book Atlas Shrugged concerning a fictional railroad and their coverage of it.  You would think she watched this last election... but this was written back in the 50s...

"No space was given by the newspapers to the progress of the construction of the John Galt Line. No reporter was sent to look at the scene. The general policy of the press had been stated by a famous editor five years ago. 'There are no objective facts,' he had said. 'Every report on facts is only somebody?s opinion. It is, therefore, useless to write about facts.' "--Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

"The reporters who came to the press conference in the office of the John Galt Line were young men who had been trained to think that their job consisted of concealing from the world the nature of its events.  It was their daily duty to serve as audience for some public figure who made utterances about the public good, in phrases carefully chosen to convey no meaning.  It was their daily job to sling words together in any combination they pleased, so long as the words did not fall into a sequence saying something specific.  They could not understand the interview now being given to them."--Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
Re: Ayn Rand on news reporting...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 12:51:23 PM »
A couple of her books are on my once every decade reading list.  They should be required reading in school, but it seems unlikely the current public school system would go for that. 
.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called the government. They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville

Online Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
Re: Ayn Rand on news reporting...
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 10:23:05 AM »
'Atlas Shrugged' is one of my all-time-favorite books.   Love that quote.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012