Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Heatwave!!!  (Read 5401 times)

Offline Saucy

• New Bee
Heatwave!!!
« on: June 07, 2004, 03:33:55 pm »
We are having a bit of a heatwave (30 degrees C) over here in London in the UK. My hive is rather exposed to the sun as it doesn't usually get too hot over here. I am a bit concerned that there seems to be plenty of bees "sunbathing" on the  landing board. Will the heat affect them? Will they cope? Thanks.

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
Heatwave!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 03:37:04 pm »
Make sure that they have close access to water. They need lots of it to cool their hive, if its near the hive you don't have to worry about them using the neighbors swimming pool :lol:  When its really hot many bees are deployed for water instead of nectar. SO if you don't want to loose any of the precious nectar flow give them water 8)
Bee Boy

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: Heatwave!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 05:53:28 pm »
Quote from: Saucy
We are having a bit of a heatwave (30 degrees C) over here in London in the UK. .

Keep  "doors"  wide, so they get a  lot of fress air. They ventilate with wings the hot air, and they use also that water.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Heatwave!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 05:58:29 pm »
I would suggest giving them more space as well as lifting the top cover.

By providing them additional supers, the bees can spread out and control the temperature better.

I also like to elevate to top cover when it is hot.  I usually place 2 1x1 sticks that are longer than the top cover is wide on top of the inner cover.  Then put the top cover on top of them, so that the telescoping edges rest on top of the 1x1.  The bees like to congregate up there and draw the heat out of the hive.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Heatwave!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 06:20:09 pm »
Mid to Late Summer, it's NOT unusual to have 40C days here for a week to two weeks in length, often without rain. I too vent the hives as best as possible, but good hive management helps to keep the BEARDING to a minimal - but when it gets THAT HOT for THAT LONG it can be hard to keep the bees in the hive.

Bearding (small to large number of bees clinging to the landing-board and clustering outside the hive) is fairly normal into the evenings when temps are high - But bees aren't really good at hanging outside in direct strong sunlight and if you have bearding heavily in the daytime hours and around the clock, chances are you need to get an additional super on that hive to give them some elbow room - they are just too crowded and can't maintain around 35C temps in the hive.

My hives get strong sun to the front of the hive in the morning, shade by 11am and most of the afternoon - and filtered sun throughout the late afternoon.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Saucy

• New Bee
Heatwave - thank you
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 10:57:01 am »
Thanks to all of you for your invaluable information. I am a beginner but nobody has ever brought up the subject about heat because it doesn't normally get too hot over here !! Thanks again.

Offline Lupus

• New Bee
Heatwave!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 03:56:11 pm »
I am outside Atlanta, GA and it gets quite hot in the summer.

Mesh bottom boards are starting to become popular here. See my post on the topic "Adding a top entrance". There seems to be some current research supporting the use of mesh bottom hives even during winter. I am doing some experimenting here as swarming during our fast spring honey flow can be a big problem. Mesh bottoms are also suppose to reduce mite problems.