Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Friday 22nd 2013 removal from two story house  (Read 3114 times)

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Friday 22nd 2013 removal from two story house
« on: March 24, 2013, 10:04:34 pm »
Well the weather warmed up enough to do the removal by 11 am friday. I had set this up from last fall when the weather turned cold. the customer was not in a hurry because of the winter being on. so I called my partner to meet me and we when over and got everthing ready. we sealed the work area with plastic to control the bees. the hive was located on the second floor outside wall and the home was covered in cedar siding and we decide not to go thru the outside. plus his wife wanted to redo the bedroom anyhow. :-\ so after cutting two holes to use my bore scope. we located the hive in the upper half of the center wall.started opening it up and found that with the still cool weather the bees were very docile. we filled four frames with solid brood two with drone comb and two with pollen and new unsealed honey, we vac the bees into a deep with 8 drawn frames.

hope you like the photos? they were taken with my tracphone  :-P

John

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Friday 22nd 2013 removal from two story house
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 10:50:39 pm »
Looks good.   We got some cold coming in this week.  How much honey did the hive have before you cut them out?   

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 10:38:09 am »
Sweet removal.  Looked large and pretty straightforward once you found them.  Thanks for posting the photos. 

Was your tracphone lens dipped in Vaseline? ;)
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 05:32:55 pm »
Why keep the drone comb? The drones are just more of a drain on an already stressed colony.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 10:24:23 pm »
Why keep the drone comb? The drones are just more of a drain on an already stressed colony.

Scott

Hardwood. the reason behind keeping the drone brood on this cutout was do to the weather we were anticipating this week. we had heavy rains over part of the weekend then into freezing temps the first part of the week. by keeping the drone they are able to have more bodies to help in regulating the hive temps over the brood area. most of the drones comb were hatching out as we were doing the cutout.
I did as my uncle did way back in his apiary when we would do tree cutout then had temps drop. this was in Va.

I try t use what I learned from him in growing and raising my apiary. sometimes oldways are lost to newer ways.but its the way I was taught. I still have more to learn. that's why I try to pick you pros minds by watching you all.  :).

John

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 11:23:22 pm »
Nice job, John.
From watching my observation hive, I have learned that when a hive is disturbed, the bees don't pay attention to the SHB's for 3 days. the beetles know it and walk around the hive like they own it. My OB normally only has a couple of beetles in it, when I opened it to relieve over crowding and rebuilt it with more space and removed frames, this hive drew in beetles like crazy, 20 beetles that day, 10 more the second day. After 3 days, if the hive is strong,  the bees start cleaning up removing lots of beetle larvae, eggs and beetles. That is why I usually do not put the honey in a cut out hive right away. If they need it you can freeze it and give it back to them after they settle down.
By the way, when a hive swarms, the beetles move in in droves and they own the hive for a day or so.
Not sure about the drones, didn't know that they provide heat for the hive. I have never saved them.
How is the hive doing now?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 11:54:24 pm »
I checked on them late yesterday. the temps were only in the low forties. I peaked Thur a sealed crack and the bees were plied up on the upper frames and brood in the center. The hive beetles were massive in the wall and were pushed to the edge and outer cavities. We made sure to check as we transferred comb to get no beetles in the box and payed close attention will vacing bees. if their are any in the hive they should be able to take care of them. the apiary I put them in has no bees within 1/2 mile and am hoping it will take four or so weeks for the beetles to find them. by then they should build up enough to deal with them. I plan on going Thur the hive by Friday. temps are suppowe to go up into the 70's by then and nights only in the mid to upper 40's.

John

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 12:37:44 am »
Sounds good.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything