Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ebay bees??  (Read 4889 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
ebay bees??
« on: May 12, 2008, 04:01:24 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190221704020&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

anyone ever buy bees on ebay?  might be an option for some who didn't order early enough.  my bee store did a second order for may.  they have not done that before, but the weather was so bad this year......
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: ebay bees??
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 04:08:30 pm »
Never done it on eBay but these guys seem legit and have a good feedback.  If I were without options, I would go for it.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 04:21:27 pm »
I bought my package on ebay, when I found that I wouldn't get my order from Rossman until the end of May.  Not from these people but another supplier. I always look at feedback before I buy, and I got a good package and a good queen.

Brenda

Offline shan

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 04:22:04 pm »
it just could be me but that seems High for 3# package...around here (tn) they arnt that high..$65-$75 and they want $98.50 for shiping  :shock: i think not :)
ask me about microwaving cats for fun and profit :) also Smileys

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 04:27:55 pm »
Supply and demand.  A lot of places are getting to be sold out.  If you want a package when the big boys are sold out, you're gonna pay a bit more.  That's the only argument I can make on the prices.  lol
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 05:13:33 pm »
local nucs and hives went up a lot around here. Nucs from $65 to $100 plus, and hives from 75 to 140. Lots more demand from new buyers who are willing to pay more to get started.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 05:18:19 pm »
CCD sure has gotten a lot of people back into backyard beekeeping hasn't it.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 06:50:35 pm »
i am thinking about selling nucs next year if these hives overwinter well.  make some early splits.  make sure they make a queen.  offset my expenses :-).
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 07:02:15 pm »
Kind of off topic but I find the subject of the price of the packages interesting!  I bought two packages on Saturday up here in Alberta.  I paid $130 (Canadian although the dollars are fairly similar these days) per package (2.2lbs per package) and delivery was not an option as they were pick-up only.  It was only an hour drive for me but while we were there, there were a few people who had driven quite a bit further than us for their packages.

Offline desmondmegan

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 07:33:59 pm »
i was going to pick up a package out here in ca. $60 for a 3 pound package. got lucky and found my first swarm..

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 07:44:08 pm »
it just could be me but that seems High for 3# package...around here (tn) they arnt that high..$65-$75 and they want $98.50 for shiping  :shock: i think not :)

Those are Mn Hygenics, and the shipping is UPS next day air.
Too expensive for me, but they have sold quite a few packages.
Brenda

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 08:29:11 pm »
CCD sure has gotten a lot of people back into backyard beekeeping hasn't it.

I had bees as a teen, but never forgot how much I loved the experience. Hearing about CCD got me back in. I wasn't even sure that a non-professional could buy bees, thinking there was a shortage. There really isn't much info out there for people who might be interested but don't know how to start.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Barbara

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 04:09:42 pm »
I agree, the only way I heard about it was because we drive past the fairgrounds every day and one day I saw "Beekeeping Short Course" on the marquee.  I said to Bzzzy, let's take that class and see if we like it.  And we did . . . and we did!  Now we are the proud parents of two happy hives!
Barbara

Offline JhnR

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 05:39:40 pm »
I received a call today that my bees were in the mail, USPS GROUND, because they can no longer
ship by air with anything over a queen w/nurse bees......NO Nucs.....because of escaping  bees. This will take 4 to 5 days from Lula, Ga. The 5th day is Sunday. I sure hope the girls have enough honey.

John

anything