Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa mite control with Wintergreen oil?  (Read 9089 times)

Offline showme714

• House Bee
Varroa mite control with Wintergreen oil?
« on: March 08, 2011, 03:48:16 pm »
I saw a Youtube video today where this guy says you can control varroa mites with Wintergreen oil mixed into patties of sugar and shortening. Has anyone else heard of this or tried it? Supposedly there is something in the oil that kills the mites and this came from a university study. I don't remember the name of the school. The guy says that you must wear gloves because the oil is a skin irritant. Seems like if the oil will irritate your skin then maybe the bees shouldn't eat it? Anyone?

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
Re: Varroa mite control with Wintergreen oil?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:18:02 pm »
There are certainly many who are more qualified on this forum to discuss this than me.  However, your question jogged my memory about something I read a while ago and I just found it:

http://pinkpages.chrisbacherconsulting.com/1999_Oct_-_My_Thoughts_about_Bee_Diseases_Mites_and_Pests.html

Scroll down to the paragraph with the header, "Parasitic Mites".  The author talks about what grease patties do and his formula.

HTH,

John

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:37:25 pm »
One thing to keep in mind is that SHB love the patties.

Offline showme714

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 07:34:20 pm »

Do you mean that's bad because the patties will attract hive beetles or that it's good because the patties could control the beetles?

Offline showme714

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 09:52:34 pm »
There are certainly many who are more qualified on this forum to discuss this than me.  However, your question jogged my memory about something I read a while ago and I just found it:

http://pinkpages.chrisbacherconsulting.com/1999_Oct_-_My_Thoughts_about_Bee_Diseases_Mites_and_Pests.html

Scroll down to the paragraph with the header, "Parasitic Mites".  The author talks about what grease patties do and his formula.

HTH,

John

Great info on that page. I was sure to bookmark it so I can come back to it. Here is some more info I found:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/naturaloils.html

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 10:14:22 pm »

Do you mean that's bad because the patties will attract hive beetles or that it's good because the patties could control the beetles?

It is an open all you can eat buffet for the beetles (or their young).   

Offline showme714

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 10:39:08 pm »
[/quote]

Dude! I'm new and prefer straight answers with explanations if possible not riddles. So how do you control the hive beetles?

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:55:52 am »

Dude! I'm new and prefer straight answers with explanations if possible not riddles. So how do you control the hive beetles?
[/quote]

Not much of a riddle..

As far as controlling them, search the "Pests" forum-plenty of good info there.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 12:06:07 pm »
You're in the Atlanta area - if you put patties of any kind on your hive, you will have an explosion of hive beetles as AllenF said....they love the stuff.  There are many ways to address the small hive beetle, but these days in Georgia they overwinter in the hives - even after this year's harsh winter.  Getting rid of them is difficult.  One of the simplest ways is to make your own SHB trap - here's a link to the Sonny Mel trap I use following their plans on the Internet.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline showme714

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 12:27:14 pm »
You're in the Atlanta area - if you put patties of any kind on your hive, you will have an explosion of hive beetles as AllenF said....they love the stuff.  There are many ways to address the small hive beetle, but these days in Georgia they overwinter in the hives - even after this year's harsh winter.  Getting rid of them is difficult.  One of the simplest ways is to make your own SHB trap - here's a link to the Sonny Mel trap I use following their plans on the Internet.

Linda T in Atlanta

Thanks for keeping it simple. That is a great video you made. How well did the trap work for you? I was thinking that since the patties are so attractive to the SHB, why not use them as bait in the bottle tops of the trap? Also I will be using a TBH. Any thoughts on how to adapt the trap for use in one?

Offline showme714

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 01:28:23 pm »
Here is a link to a site selling an interesting SHB trap:

http://blueskybeesupply.com/beetle_blaster.html

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 11:53:07 pm »
My friends in Atlanta have compared the beetle blaster to AJs beetle eater.  (I have the latter and not the former).  AJs outperforms the beetle blaster regularly.  I don't like either of them because my hands shake and it's difficult to keep the traps upright while filling the tiny little things with oil.  They also don't hold many beetles. 

The sandwich box trap holds a lot more dead beetles and works really well. 

Last year I also used nematodes and we had many less hive beetles in the hives, but this is completely off the topic of varroa and wintergreen oil  :evil: :evil: :evil:

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 04:31:47 am »
I have a feeling that the Wintergreen Oil and Lard patties were really targeted for Tracheal mites.
Various mints/menthols mask the smell of bees, and thus diminish T-mite loads.
Using grease patties for T-mites is nothing new, but it is being abandoned because of SHB concerns. 

For Oils/Fats to be effective on Varroa, it has to come in physical contact and actually sufficate the mite to be effective.
Some have burned/vaporized various oils in insect foggers to have this effect.
Others swear by using oil soaked cotton cords or just dribbing it on the top bars.

I think that's all a waste of time and money.
If you break your queen's brood cycle (requeen at the right time), you break the mite's mating cycle and population before winter when it counts.

Fat/Beeman can chime in here if he's so inclined. He's had some vidoes (I think using Tea Tree Oil?) online.
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.