Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Who Knows About Jelly Making?  (Read 8577 times)

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: Who Knows About Jelly Making?
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 03:53:30 pm »
                      NO PECTIN JAM RECIPES
These recipes usually make less jam than the ones that have added pectin to them, since you boil them longer the fruit boils down to a more concentrated product.
Just keep an eye on the pan at all times so the bottom doesn't scorch.
These are all easy to make and delicious.

STRAWBERRY JAM

8 cups crushed hulled strawberries
6 cups sugar

In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine strawberries and sugar
Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar.
Boil, stirring frequently until mixure thickens.
Remove from heat and do the gel test.
The gel test is where you put a plate in the frig and let it get cold, take it out and put a dab of jam on the plate and put the plate back in the frig.
Check it a minute later to see if its runny or set. It does not have to be totally set at this stage either.
Its just so long as the its not liquidy and running on the plate.
If its the consistency you want, then you are done, if you want it thicker then keep cooking it.
By the time you have done this more than once then you will be able to tell when its ready just by sight.
When its done, skim off foam and pour into jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace and seal.

Follow the exact same directions for cooking as the above recipe, using these ingredients below instead.

APRICOT JAM
 8 cups chopped pitted peeled apricots
 4 tbs lemon juice
 6 cups granulated sugar.

Process the same way as the above recipe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DAMSON PLUM
5 cups coarsley chopped pitted Damson plums
3 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup water

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              SPICY PEACH JAM
4 tart apples, peeled cored and chopped
5 cups chopped pitted peeled peaches
1 can 12oz- undiluted frozen unsweetened condensed apple juice thawed
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
2 tbs lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                             
   I am going to throw this one in here just because it has some honey in it and its a little unusual as well.
                                  YELLOW TOMATO BUTTER
 5 lbs yellow tomatoes, cored and quartered
1 1 inch piece peeled gingerroot
1tbs  whole allspice
2 cinnamon sticks( each about 4 inches long) broken into pieces
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup honey

In a large stainless steel saucepan, crush tomatoes with a potato masher/
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are soft, about 20-30 minutes.

Working in batches, press tomatoes through a food mill,sieve or strainer to seperate the pulp from skin and seeds.
Discard skin and seeds.
Measure 8 cups of tomato pulp
Meanwhile tie gingeroot, allspice and cinnamon sticks in a spice bag or you can use a square of cheesecloth and create your own.
In a clean large stainless steal saucepan combine the tomato puree, sugar, honey and spice bag.
Stir until sugar dissolves.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
Reduce heat and boil gently. stirring frequently ,until mixture thickens and mounts on a spoon.
Discard spice bag.
Ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if necessary by adding more mixture, wipe rims and screw on lids.
Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 10:37:58 pm »
Natalie - Thank you thank you for posting - these look fab and I can't WAIT to try them!

Cindi - re: water bath canning - I *almost* always process my jams/jellies because I was always taught that it is the only way to be 100% sure (or as close as you can get) that you have eliminated any chances of the product going bad. I think it is probably overkill for many products but since I am not a "clean freak" I figure I am better off doing the water bath and re-sterilizing anything that might have become  "contaminated" between pouring in the jelly and shutting the lid (like using the same dishcloth to wipe the rim of the jar on several batches?) I have not found it to make a difference in the product itself - particularly because most jams/jellies only get processed for about 10 minutes - but it does give me some piece of mind that I can store the jam in my cabinet instead of in my fridge.

I have also heard that for "competition" at state fairs and such and/or in order to sell your product, the products must be water bath canned - I think it is a health department thing.

I do remember, however, when I was a kid and we would can pears and all we would do is sterilize the empty jars in boiling water, fill them with hot pears, put the lids on the jars and then turn the jars over and let them cool. Once they were cool enough to handle we would check the seals and if all was well they went into the pantry. We used to do that every year and I don't ever remember anyone getting sick from those.

- Jess

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 11:55:07 am »
I love the sound of the little "pop-ting" when a lid becomes sealed!

Got my order of 'Certo' pectin from amazon.com yesterday.  I subscribed to red these products every 6 months.  I rec'd 4 boxes of 2 packs for around $11.00 eith free shipping and handling.  This way I hope my pectin will not "go old" on me...

I am going to attempt making the Cran-Apple Spiced Jelly one more time to see how it sets...if it works I will post you the recipe.  It is a beautiful, delicious jelly that on can use on sweet or savory goods...