Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "What is the most original movie you've seen?"  (Read 10681 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
"What is the most original movie you've seen?"
« on: September 17, 2010, 12:42:42 am »
We have covered a bunch of movies, mostly recent releases and some classics, but which movie have you seen that TOTALLY STANDS OUT?

I believe that means a few things...

Unique story
Unique presentation
maybe not the best movie, but the most stand-out film

I'll toss my favorite Drama in this category called "Magnolia" not Steel Magnolia, just Magnolia.

I'll admit, I had to watch this a second time to totally get the character's connection - very intricate story with about 10 main characters - serious.

Great Actors too! Tom Cruise, Julianne Moore, Philip Seymour Hoffman, William H. Macy, Alfred Molina, John C. Reilly, Philip Baker Hall, Jason Robards, Melora Walters, Robert Downey Sr. and a lot of others you will recognize from many things.

This is a long film, intertwined with plots that unfold, and relationships that become clear as the story moves on. The struggles each character goes through is trying to them - everyone can handle stress and hard times differently and Magnolia is not afraid to show raw emotions from everyone in this film.

It is in my top 10 list of favorites, maybe the top 5!

Another film that take you somewhere else and drop you into "their world":

Reservoir Dogs - another all star, Chris Penn, Harvey Kaitel (sp) Steve Buschemi, Mark Roth and Michael Madden - wow, riviting cast, a Quinton Tarintino film (he is in it too) oh... QT was also in Inglorious Bastards, it was HIS HANDS that choked the lady to death near the end. The whole movie was shot PLAY LIKE in only four locations; a car, a barn, outside the barn and in a diner. Incredible acting. But it is on this post because it is very different than the norm.

But try to see Magnolia if you want a neat near-ending that I wont give away - this is a great movie for character study, you have so many to watch at one time.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 12:54:28 am by beemaster »
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Re: "What is the most original movie you've seen?"
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:16:11 am »
Blair Witch

First film from that perspective. Scared the c... out of me. It let my imagination create the monster. Reality has nothing on the fear one's own imagination can create.

Keith

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:35:39 pm »
How about 2001 A space odyssey and the Matrix.  They were original ideas when they came out. 

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:39:26 pm »
  I hated Blair witch, and still to this day hate that jumpy flip flop camera style.
  I vote for the original Exorcist, the first monster movie with no monster.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 09:47:22 pm »
Satan's demons aren't monsters?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 10:05:57 pm »
Satan's demons aren't monsters?

Scott

I agree come on if Satan isin't a monster what is?

Keith

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 10:10:01 pm »
The most original I've seen (and by the way, The Exorcist scared the crap out of me) was JP and schawee when schawee tries to sneak out to the pool with Anette's parasol...a masterpiece!'

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 11:19:16 pm »
Boy I may be kinda nerdy,but the movie that made me laugh the most ever was the first "Earnest" movie.Earnest Goes To Camp.Sequels didn't quite do the same for me.
Another memorable one was Toy Story ,but that's just me.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 03:18:32 am »
       How about "the Sting". Robert Redford, Paul Newman, Robert Shaw etc. This film had it all, suspense, comedy, drama, pathos, music, great scenery and a whole lot of sh-- cunning.
      I can really enjoy this time after time.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 09:09:10 am »
how about natural born killers very original one of the few oliver stone movies I liked.
Best movie Forest Gump ranks pretty high on my list.

Keith

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 04:29:32 pm »
I don't know if I mentioned THIS movie under this topic, although I know I did mention it somewhere.... "Buried" with Ryan Reynolds - WOW, a one many show of a contractor caught and buried in a crate like coffin somewhere in Iraq.

He has a cell phone, a crappy working flashlight and a lighter, little else and his claustrophobic adventure leaves you feeling as trapped as he. I rate this very high in the recommend category, not just for originality, but for how well WE can relate to the sad situation that he is in and the red-tape and personal issues that he needs to weave through if he even stands a chance to see sunlight again. Powerful stuff.

Oh.... have any of you gotten to see Magnolia, my first pick under "original movie" posted here? A top-notch cast, an inter-weaved list of characters that (frankly) took me a second watching to appreciate - granted I'm slow sometimes, but if I were told that everyone is just a degree from everyone else in this wonderful film, I think the first viewing would have really stepped it up a notch for me.

Yes... as the film so clearly states "sometimes... things JUST happen!"

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Mshel

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 09:50:58 pm »
I don't know if you'd call it original, but I liked Avatar. The special effects and script were good I thought.

I'll tell you what I didn't like - Friday the 13th (that is played out). I hope no one is superstitious as tomorrow is again Friday the 13th. I'm sure that movie will be playing on one of the stations tomorrow. lol  :)

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 10:34:56 pm »
I don't know if you'd call it original, but I liked Avatar. The special effects and script were good I thought.

have to agree
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline Mshel

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 09:56:16 pm »
Has anyone seen Thor yet? They say it is suppose to be good, but I've come to learn that the commercials can be misleading.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 12:23:19 am »
The most original I've seen (and by the way, The Exorcist scared the crap out of me) was JP and schawee when schawee tries to sneak out to the pool with Anette's parasol...a masterpiece!'

Scott

When did that happen?? Must have missed that.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 01:43:50 am »
Has anyone seen Thor yet? They say it is suppose to be good, but I've come to learn that the commercials can be misleading.

I'll leave out the details, but I'll be seeing Thor first thing in the morning - let you know!!!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 09:25:00 am »
A Saturday morning matinee.    There's an idea for me and the 4 year old.   I wonder if Thor would be too much for him?   

Offline Mshel

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 09:48:21 am »
A Saturday morning matinee.    There's an idea for me and the 4 year old.   I wonder if Thor would be too much for him?   
Its PG 13 &by todays standards that's more like rated R. It may scare the little guy.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 10:59:17 am »
Not sure how original it is, strange, yes. Weirdly so! I guess I'd say its original, Eraserhead. Here's a scene: Eraserhead, (David Lynch, 1977) the strange creature... II

Altered States, one of my all time favorites! Here's the title sequence: Altered States - title sequence

Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Milk Factory: Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory

The Illustrated Man: They are Skin Illustrations
The Illustrated Man Trailer

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com