Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Stupid question of the day...  (Read 1613 times)

Offline MsCarol

• House Bee
Stupid question of the day...
« on: March 14, 2014, 01:07:04 pm »
OK, I am a new-bee and flying solo. I was able to get some used equipment from my next door neighbor who lost interesting in his bees and just let them go. (Very likely where my swarms originated). Up until now I have had the screen bottom boards. Which side is "up" is obvious.

But to solid bottom boards have a top and a bottom??? If so, which is which?

I was painting up the equipment and wanted to protect the bottom of the bottom board so painted the side which looked like it had been exposed. Neither side, only the frame had originally been painted. The other side appeared varnished with what I assumed was the bees work. BUT when I went to assemble the hive I realized the space for the entrance was shallower then my other screen bottom hives. A entrance reducer wouldn't fit. Turned the bottom over and voila, it was a fit but now was painted side up.

So which side is "UP" ??? :?

You all can stop laughing now....... :-D

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Stupid question of the day...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 02:33:03 pm »
So which side is "UP" ??? :?

Assuming the are the standard design, they are considered "reversible"  but most folks just run them with the 3/4" opening up.   Theory is that you flip them over for a 3/8" reduced opening for winter. 
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 02:56:45 pm »
 :lau: :lau: :lau: Just kidding mscarol. I had honestly never given it much thought. Now I know  :-D
John 3:16

Offline Spear

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 03:16:06 pm »
Any hobby has so much new to learn and the equipment is always very confusing at first but after a while you will get the hang of it and people will think you have always known everything about your hobby.
I still look at a lot of beekeeping equipment and go "What the heck it this and how do I use it!?" LOL
Good luck!

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 03:31:20 pm »
No such thing as a stupid question.
Later,
Ray

Offline DMLinton

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 08:24:35 pm »
No such thing as a stupid question.

What RHBee said.  I have done so much studying over the past eight months that there are not many questions that I do not at least think I know the answer to.  I learned something here today.  Thanks MsCarol for putting the question.
Regards, Dennis
First bees installed July 1, 2014.
The truth is what the truth is.  We can bend, twist or stretch it all we want but, at the end of the day, the truth is still what the truth is.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 09:26:49 pm »
One of the first bb's I had, had one end open for entrance the other side was open on both ends.  Sometime when I was real new, still a lot to learn, the problem wasn't asking a dumb question, it was knowing what to ask to get the answer I needed.  MsCarol, it is the only thing that I paint the inside, but on the BB I paint both sides.   Good luck

Joe

anything