Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Methods of putting lemon grass oil in swarm traps.  (Read 6331 times)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Methods of putting lemon grass oil in swarm traps.
« on: January 17, 2013, 08:00:30 pm »
Ok folks.  I'm curious on the various methods of deploying lemon grass oil into swarm traps.
I know about Scott's method of a mix of wax and oliv oil with lemongrass to make a paste. 
I know of buds method of medicine bottle with cotton ball.  I have a method of using a thin plastic container that I heat seal.   
Any other methods anyone would like to share ?   I will be happy to share my method details after I get all other opinions.  My method allows a lure vial to last all summer and still be effective in the fall. 

Thanks in advance. 
Bailey.
( swarm season is coming soon!!!!!    Woohoo!!!! )
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Methods of putting lemon grass oil in swarm traps.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:06:47 pm »
cotton ball, or if i have forgotten that, i just put a drop or two on a top bar and close it up.  if it's a trap i want to leave somewhere, i have wrapped the cotton ball in saran wrap and poked a few holes in it. that seems to work pretty well....if i remember the saran wrap  :-(
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 08:10:32 pm »
I use the paste in plastic vials with a pin hole.  Seems to lasts all season.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:12:48 pm »
I fold up some paper towel between 2 of the frames with some drops on it. 

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:22:29 pm »
Short bits of drinking straw stuffed with cotton wool and then add a few drops of LGO. I then staple these to the end of a frame in each trap box.
Shane

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:30:33 pm »
All good ideas.  Here is mine.   I take soft plastic pipettes that doctors offices and labs use to do urine sample tests with. ( new of course ).  
I draw up the desired amount of lgo.  Then set them upside down for a good while so all oil runs down into the bulb section.   I then take a hemostat ( I work hospitals ) and clamp the neck just above the bulb section.  
I then squeeze the bulb slightly to allow less air in the bulb.  
Then I seal it by passing a hot soldering iron across the upper section of the hemostat and melt the plastic above the clamp section.  
This melts and seals the bulb section.    Now comes the reason I compress the bulb prion to sealing.  
 If it remains compressed after I release the clamp I'm assured of a good seal.  When in the trap if it gets hot there is room enough for the air to expand without blowing the seal and letting the lgo run out.  
They smell lemony through the plastic all summer long.

There is my method.  
Bailey.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:45:59 pm by bailey »
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 11:09:39 pm »
I just roll up a cotton swab in duct tape and place a few drops on both sides and last a good while.
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 11:17:57 pm »
I just roll up a cotton swab in duct tape and place a few drops on both sides and last a good while.

Ahhh duct tape,  the beekeepers best friend  :-D

mvh edward  :-P

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 07:30:29 am »
This will be my first season swarm trapping and I'm deploying first weekend in Feb. Just finished 10 swarm traps and looking to bait also.

From what I've researched (to death) I'm baiting with 1 old frame flanked by two new, empty frames that will have some wax on them and LGO. I'm also going to prepare swatches of remnant carpet that I will drop LGO onto over and over again which should build up quite a scent over time. Those swatches will go into pill bottles that will have small nail holes in them and placed inside the hive. I'm also going to put a dab of LGO on the trap entrance for good measure.

That's the plan as it stands right now, of course I'll probably break down and order some official "swarm lure" from the supply house. You know, belt and suspenders!  :roll:

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 08:53:29 am »
Small ziploc bag
Cotton facial cleaning pad (these make excellent starters for smoker fuel too)
Few drops of LGO on pad, poke small hole in bag, place bag in between top bars and top.

Offline BGhoney

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 10:47:05 pm »
couple of drops on a cotton ball in plastic wrap, taped lightly closed then stick just inside the bait hive.

Offline Greg

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 12:23:34 pm »
Q-tip dipped in LGO.  Dab around the entranced of trap.  Dispose of  Q-Tip inside the trap.  Repeat in about 2 weeks if necessary.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 12:38:59 pm »
This will be my first season swarm trapping and I'm deploying first weekend in Feb. Just finished 10 swarm traps and looking to bait also.

From what I've researched (to death) I'm baiting with 1 old frame flanked by two new, empty frames that will have some wax on them and LGO. I'm also going to prepare swatches of remnant carpet that I will drop LGO onto over and over again which should build up quite a scent over time. Those swatches will go into pill bottles that will have small nail holes in them and placed inside the hive. I'm also going to put a dab of LGO on the trap entrance for good measure.

That's the plan as it stands right now, of course I'll probably break down and order some official "swarm lure" from the supply house. You know, belt and suspenders!  :roll:

You can overdo the LGO. Too much will cause them to hang around the hive like they do around a wet honey frame. Don't ask how I know that. Alittle bit goes a long way.

Offline BEEMAN

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 12:01:48 am »
I use small sections of burlap with a few drops of lemon grass oil on them. I put them in zip lock bags with one corner of the bag cut off. Works well and last a long time.

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 08:41:49 am »
@sterling

Funny you should say this...

This past weekend I was doing some woodworking (queen castles) and what not in the front drive. As I was cutting there were about 5 bees constantly hovering around the saw and making scouting trips into the garage. Earlier that morning I had mixed up some swarm trap lure as well as made a LGO paste of bee wax and LGO. The scouts were relentless. Suddenly I realized I had placed the frames that I had used the newly made LGO & bee wax on in the garage as well as got a trace residue on my hand. That is what was attracting them. I realized this and placed those "baited" frames in the garage fridge and went inside and washed my hands with some Go-Jo. In about 10 minutes all the scouts had withdrawn. So yes, a little goes a LOOOONG way. Now my fridge smells like Pledge!

Basically, if you can smell it (even a trace)...it's good to go. Human nose isn't very good so if it's human detectable, bee's are going to find it.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 05:01:45 pm »
I was using eye droppers, but it's hard to find a glass one, and the plastic ones melt in the essential oils... so I use a q-tip.  I dip it and drip it in the bait hive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 11:28:51 pm »
Thks Bailey, got 100 pipettes from Amazon and deploy this week.
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

www.VPBEES.com

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 11:48:59 pm »
Hope it works as good for you as it does me.
Bailey

anything