Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: sunflower honey  (Read 12124 times)

Offline Wandering Buddhist

• New Bee
sunflower honey
« on: February 03, 2005, 07:07:14 pm »
Does anyone know of a beekeeper in North America who produces sunflower honey?  Preferably with a web site.  I imagine such a person would be in the northern Great Plains region.  Any info most appreciated.

Offline Bruce Hanson

• House Bee
Sunflower Honey
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 08:09:37 pm »
I'm from South Dakota and there are lots of sunflowers grown around me,and yes we do produce honey from them. how can I help you ?

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
sunflower honey
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 08:22:38 pm »
Bruce is it true that sunflower honey dosnt taste that good or do you just have to taste it to see if you like it? thanks
Ryan Horn

• New Bee
sunflower honey
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 08:49:58 pm »
Hello Bruce

I am happy to see a response.  I have an acquaintance in Maryland who has been buying his sunflower honey from abroad, but would like to buy some made here in the USA.  If you agree, would you please send me your contact information, which I may forward to him, so that he may secure a purchase?  We are only talking about a couple of jars, here, not too much.

Thanks again for responding.  If you could, please tell me what is unique about sunflower honey; I really know little about it in particular.

Offline Bruce Hanson

• House Bee
sunflower honey
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 10:44:11 am »
Sunflower honey is a extra light amber colored and has a pleasant flavor.The honey, bees produce from sunflowers granulates or sugars quite fast and has to be extracted  as soon as it is capped over or it is rock hard in the comb.             Sunflowers are grown for their oil and seeds and bloom late summer.Its a pretty sight to drive by a field of sunflower a mile long that are 6 to 8 foot tall and have heads as big as platters.             The one drawback is spray--bee kill, lots of bad bugs love to chew on the seeds, so air spraying is done and lots of bees are lost if sprayed at the wrong time.                   bmanhanson@webtv.net

• New Bee
sunflower honey
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 11:40:08 am »
It sounds beautiful.  I lived in the Republic of Moldova last year, and one of their chief crops is sunflowers, for the oil fo course, and for the fact that most of the population chews and spits the seeds constantly.  The country is littered with the shells, and every corner has a robust harsh looking Russian woman hawking the seeds for pennies per bag.

I will give your e-mail address to the person interested and you two can arrange about buying a jar of your honey.  Thank you for the response.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
sunflower honey
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 06:17:08 pm »
I have grown sunflowers before, where 8 feet tall. Just wandered about flavor, thanks, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Phoenix

• House Bee
    • http://www.cafepress.com/beeholder
sunflower honey
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 11:49:12 am »
I too wandered about once, maybe more than once, but they found me eventually. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• New Bee
sunflower honey
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 12:13:04 am »
Phoenix

They seem to have let you out now though, haven't they?   :)

Offline lively Bee's

• House Bee
sunflower honey
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2005, 02:47:41 am »
some creamed sunflower honey is some of the best I have ever ate.

Offline Phoenix

• House Bee
    • http://www.cafepress.com/beeholder
sunflower honey
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2005, 05:46:47 pm »
They have not yet let me out WB, they now think that I am one of them.  So I may come and go as I please, and don't have to be confined in those funny jackets anymore.  I still tend to wander, and wonder as I wander.  I'm amazed at the wonderous beauty that abounds as I wander, wondering.

I see your wandering as well...   Do you every wonder why you wander, or wonder while you wander, or wander as your wondering?

Offline Bruce Hanson

• House Bee
A Wondering Wonderer
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 04:24:27 pm »
Holy Honeybee Batman!!!             Did my sunflower answer cause this man to talk like this ???? I think he wandered into some  locoweed.   :)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
sunflower honey
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 05:38:11 pm »
I think the wandering Buddhist laid his hands upon him causing him to wander in wonderment. Or is that wonder in wanderment. I am going to be wondering about this one for awhile.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/