Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: building swarm traps  (Read 28172 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: building swarm traps
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008, 11:41:12 am »
Oh, my kingdom to have the skills to build anything that involves carpentry, you are a fortunate bunch, beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi

Isn't that what you use and abuse your husband for?  :-D

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 02:44:35 pm »
Cindi, you sound the way my wife used to sound when we were first married.  Now she's a fair carpenter, a better welder than I ever was (I'm now a Quadriplegic), operates our bulldozer (when she can get me off of it), our excavator (still trying to figure out how I can operate it), our hay baler, and does so many other things she never dreamed she was capable of.  You just need to say I can do this and try.  If you mess up the first time, so what!  I seldom ever get anything right the first. Just keep trying.  Just wear your safety equipment and be careful with power tools.  Just yesterday my 30 year old son was cutting some lumber for new hives and cut up sides for four boxes before I measured and found they were exactly an inch to short.  So we cut them up for ends, no big deal. YOU CAN DO IT. :)

Offline redneck

• Brood
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 04:52:19 pm »
Good day all, I have been lurking here for a while now. I am wanting to try and build some swarm traps, and I was wondering if maybe a person could use a 5 gallon bucket. It would be something similar to the sonotube. A bucket with a lid and a couple of frames inside.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 05:04:02 pm »
Good day all, I have been lurking here for a while now. I am wanting to try and build some swarm traps, and I was wondering if maybe a person could use a 5 gallon bucket. It would be something similar to the sonotube. A bucket with a lid and a couple of frames inside.

The bees don't like the plastic 5 gallon buckets.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline redneck

• Brood
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 05:39:30 pm »
Would it be possible to line the inside with cardboard. It would be easy to cut a box and form it to the bucket.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2008, 05:58:30 pm »
I don't think you can fit standard frames in a 5 gallon bucket.  I've never tried plastic, so I'd take Brendhan word.  Perhaps the cardboard lining might help,  and don't forget the lemongrass.  It's a crap shoot anyway, so give it a try.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 10:44:23 pm »
Robo In general I like your idea but I have a idea. If you would cut the top area out  just over size to your frames. Then  put a hinge on the piece you cut out and a hook on the othe side to keep it closed you can lift out the frames. more like a normal box. When you are ready to harvest the bees you can just open up the box and lift out the frames. Just something for you to think about. I hope this makes sence.
My smokepole
My-smokepole

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2008, 01:03:06 am »
Redneck, welcome to our forum, so nice that you have stopped lurking and decided to join us, hee, hee.  You will find this forum a great place to ask your questions, you have already begun.  All the questions get answers, one way or another, all questions are important.  When you have a spare minute or two, tell us a little bit about yourself in the greetings forum.  We love to hear what new members are up to, and everyone has a story or two to tell.  Welcome, enjoy your stay with us, and have that beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2008, 08:52:57 am »
Robo In general I like your idea but I have a idea. If you would cut the top area out  just over size to your frames. Then  put a hinge on the piece you cut out and a hook on the othe side to keep it closed you can lift out the frames. more like a normal box. When you are ready to harvest the bees you can just open up the box and lift out the frames. Just something for you to think about. I hope this makes sence.
My smokepole

I follow you.  I don't see why it wouldn't work if you can figure out how to seal up the cuts you make to prevent water from getting in and swelling the cardboard.  I just wanted something I could throw together quickly.  The other thing is that you would probably have to add some wood support around the cuts to keep the cardboard from warping.  This would also add weight to the whole set-up.  Once you start cutting into the sonatube, it looses rigidity real fast.  Good thinking though.

rob...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2008, 09:30:38 am »
You know the old saying duck tape baling wire and paint. :-D
My-smokepole
My-smokepole

Offline rmhcattle

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2008, 08:50:04 am »
star foam minnow bucket work good tape top down drill are cut hole in have your lure in tie rope to handle and host it up

Offline Bigeddie

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2008, 11:18:30 pm »
Just build a nuc out of scrap,add some old brood comb,lemongrass oil, set it out and hope for the best. Who dosen't need a nuc ?
God bless Us all!!

Offline uptickguru

• Brood
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2008, 02:54:56 pm »
Being new to beekeeping I appreciate Rob sharing his plans for the swarm traps.  I'll pick up the sonotube tonight.  If I don't have old comb to use, what can I substitute that will attract bees.  Also, where is the best location to hang these traps?

Thanks  Kevin :?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2008, 04:18:18 pm »
If I don't have old comb to use, what can I substitute that will attract bees. 
Lemongrass oil is a good lure
Also, where is the best location to hang these traps?

Where the bees will find them ;)

Actually 12-15ft up in a tree is as close as you will get to a general consensus with beekeepers if there is such a thing.

rob...

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 04:40:14 am »
If I don't have old comb to use, what can I substitute that will attract bees. 
Lemongrass oil is a good lure
Also, where is the best location to hang these traps?

Where the bees will find them ;)

Actually 12-15ft up in a tree is as close as you will get to a general consensus with beekeepers if there is such a thing.

rob...

Notice he says 12-15' is the general consensus with beekeepers, if there is such a thing!

Hey, hang 'em 12-16' Rob don't know what he's talkin' about! :-D :-*

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2008, 02:44:18 am »
[Notice he says 12-15' is the general consensus with beekeepers, if there is such a thing!]
[Hey, hang 'em 12-16' Rob don't know what he's talkin' about!]

They're both on crack, try 10-12', save some rope.
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 02:13:38 pm »
Now in this 12 - 15 or 16 ft off the ground, where do you start measuring from the dirt or the top of any roots sticking out?

Offline BearCreekBees

• New Bee
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2008, 02:41:27 pm »
I agree with HAB that you can do whatever you set your mind to. But, for those who think they are not handy enough to scrap together a wooden swarm trap, you can use a cardboard box. Just find one the appropriate size. Cover it with plastic if you like, or not. Or, coat the outside with beeswax if you have some extra laying around. No need to paint. If you want to get fancy cut a couple of pieces of 1" x whatever and attache to the ends of the box, inside, for a frame rest.

As for an attractant, I have not tried this, but in my collection of old antique bee hunting boxes I found some bottles of anise oil- I guess that was used as bait for hunting bees back in the day. Might work as a swarm lure as well. I'll have to try that myself sometime and see if it works.

Cheers,

EKW

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2008, 03:25:19 pm »
I wouldn't use anise oil because it is the best attractant for  raccoons.  I have been useing it in my 16 yr old ADC business for a species specific bait.  Oh it also is one of the best lures for bears

Offline MollySuesHoney

• New Bee
    • Molly Sue's Honey
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2008, 03:52:14 pm »
I'm a carpenter and joiner.  But, I don't make my swarm traps.  I use the styrofoam boxes that tropical fish are shipped in to pet stores.  Pop in a hole.  Lay in a few frames and presto!
Lawrence Underwood

Mobile, Alabama