Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuc need requeened- how long do we wait? & how often to look in in general?  (Read 2104 times)

Offline KatBee

• New Bee
We installed a 5 frame nuc yesterday and the beek (with a good reputation) we bought it from looked through it with us in the time he had and we couldn't find the queen or see any eggs- so he told us to keep an eye on it and if we didn't find her or see any that he'd requeen us. I should have asked him, but I didn't think of it- what's the reasonable timeline for this? How long before we should call in for a new queen if nothing shows up? And, in the meantime, how often should we be going through the hive looking for her/eggs?

And secondary to that- how often would you recommend having a look through of the hive in general? I've heard that you should be quite active in keeping an eye on things and that you should be as hands off as possible so as not to disrupt more than is necessary- in your opinion, what is that happy medium?

Thanks in advance!

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
I got my nuc Sat. They balled the Queen Sun. I am going to wait till Sat and see if they made a new cell.  I did have capped brood, brood of all ages and eggs. I would not buy a nuc without seeing a Queen or some brood/eggs.Take a look in about 7 to 9 days and see if you can find queen and/or eggs. If you find eggs and brood It is not necessary to see queen. Close it up and let them work.  Once a week is often enough to look. Hope this helps. :) d2

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
I would check in about a week.  If there is brood look for a good pattern and not all drone larva.  A laying worker will have scattered brood and will all be drone.  Good luck

Joe

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
I would check in about a week.  If there is brood look for a good pattern and not all drone larva.  A laying worker will have scattered brood and will all be drone.  Good luck

Joe

Some how hit post and it posted twice.  Don't know how to get rid of one.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 10:13:39 pm by Joe D »

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
I would return it and tell him to call when he has a viable nuc.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Moots

I would return it and tell him to call when he has a viable nuc.

I'm still very much a newbie, so withheld comment...But this is pretty much what I was thinking!  :)

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
YOu get a splended hive if you buy an another nuc and join it to the present.
Nuc takes its own time to build up but one box hive full of bees and brood is really good.
You may give at once another deep of foundations.

You get soon the price back as honey.

-
Language barrier NOT included

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
I agree with other comments about Nucs, the ones I have purchased always have at least three frames of Brood in all stages with a good new season laying Queen.

Give it a week and see what you have in the way of eggs.

Cheers
Steve

anything