Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is this Bad?  (Read 2211 times)

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Is this Bad?
« on: July 23, 2007, 01:13:08 am »
I had a small butterfly that was interested in getting into one of my hives. It looked similar to this one,
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/butterflies/butterfly-gallery/pages/Speedwell2.html
but had blue markings instead of orange and the feelers on the end of the wing were longer. Also it moved it's wings against one another as if to be plotting something evil (reminded me of rubbing my hands in an evil way).
It landed outside the hive and approached the bearding bees in the late afternoon. Guard bees went after it but that only made it fly off on a nearby log. It slowly crept up again form a different direction. I know it's not a wax moth (right?) because they're nocturnal, and don't keep their wings in the upright position. 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Is this Bad?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 10:45:33 am »
MrILovetheAnts.  I have no clue if this is a "bad" moth or what.  But the way you described it as rubbing its hands together, like an evil doer  :evil: would make me wonder.  Maybe someone will know and tell you.  Have a wonderful day, great observation with your colony by the say.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline BlueEggFarmer

• House Bee
    • Blue Egg Farm
Re: Is this Bad?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 01:40:50 pm »
They are tiny butterflies that usually feed on wildflowers and clover. They move their wings around to make the "feelers" on the back of their wings move, this is to fool a would be predator into attacking at the back of the wings, and gives the butterfly a chance to escape. They usually do not bother with hives but maybe there is no other nectar around that the butterfly can smell.