Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Southern California  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Amy

• Brood
Hello from Southern California
« on: September 14, 2014, 11:43:39 pm »
Hi everyone!

I live in suburban, college-town, Fullerton, CA, and I started beekeeping a couple months ago by attempting to rescue a nascent hive from under an overturned flower pot in my friends' backyard.  They didn't stick around after transfer into a box, but my mentor and guide, Arnold, located a fellow in Riverside who had some nucs for sale, and he purchased three and kindly gave me one to get me re-started on my beekeeping adventure.

I assisted Arnold in transferring the nuc into my 10-frame Langstroth, and things have mostly gone very well for my bees since.  I've since done two inspections without him (with my husband assisting me) and I find everything about honeybees engrossing and fascinating.  They're very kindly bees and I've been comfortable working the hive without any protective gear at all, which is so nice to be able to do, especially in our recent extreme heat wave.

I kept the comb from the rescue hive at my friends' house and learned how to render it, so I have a little bit of fresh beeswax to my name now.   It smells AMAZING, as does the burgeoning hive when the scent catches on the wind.  It's like nothing I've ever experienced before.

I've spent most of my free time the last few weeks reading up and researching everything about pests and general hive management, types of hives, etc.  It's clearly going to be a lifelong learning experience, and I'm so excited.  My primary reason for beekeeping is to help support bees in their survival as pollenators, but if I end up with a really healthy, large hive, I'll try to harvest some honey, at least once, for the experience (and to enjoy the taste of fresh comb honey).

I'm interested in integrating foundationless frames into my setup and have started converting some of the foundation frames that came with my deep super (which I look forward to installing eventually after the nuc grows out of its single deep).

I'm looking forward to engaging with all of you here at the forum.  Thanks!! :)

Amy 

Offline LaurieBee

• House Bee
  • I'm loving bees today. Interested in learning.
Re:
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 02:43:03 am »
Welcome Amy. You'll get lots of helpful information here.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello from Southern California
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 09:38:21 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 09:55:02 pm »
Welcome Amy. It's been my observation that they either grow in numbers or die out.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 08:11:36 am »
Hi Amy, welcome to the forum.

anything